Senior Director, Internal Audit and Operational Risk - 22159
World Wide Fund for Nature
Washington, DC, United States
30+ days ago
- Provide strategy, leadership, and direction to the Internal Audit function as part of the Enterprise Risk Management team and in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditors Professional Standards.
- Provide objective, value added assurance and advice to improve enterprise operations and key controls that support enterprise risk management, financial, compliance, and governance processes.
- Develop an annual risk-based audit plan based on assessment of various risks associated with enterprise operations and areas of concern.
- Present the audit plan to the Audit Committee for review and approval and then implement and adjust the approved audit plan in response to new risks, concerns, and requests.
- Primary responsibility for managing the day-to-day activities of the Internal Audit function in planning and performing financial, operational, and compliance audits. Coordinate with the WWF Network of Internal Auditors to complete activities.
- Lead internal audit and operational risk activities in conjunction with relevant stakeholders, particularly Country Offices, Program Operations, and Finance, and in consideration of the work of external auditors, regulators, and donors.
- Develop a flexible audit plan in consultation with the Senior Director, Integrity & Risk, Chief Financial Officer, key risk managers, and others with significant control responsibilities.
- Execute audit work plans, including consultation with key risk managers, a clear definition of scope and terms of reference, and use of technology to analyze and interpret data. Clearly communicate significant risk exposures and control issues to leadership and management, as needed.
- Attend Audit Committee meetings to discuss the audit plan, review significant audit findings, and provide clear, concise, high-quality reports on the status of internal audit work and corrective actions. Keep the Audit Committee and management informed of emerging trends and risks.
- Oversee development of grantee audit monitoring program to ensure WWF’s programs are implementing in accordance with donor as well as WWF US policies and procedures.
- Assist in the investigation of significant fraudulent activities or misuse of resources.
- Produce high quality audit reports and materials that inform management and the Audit Committee of the adequacy of internal controls and high-risk business processes.
- Serve as a trusted advisor and thought partner with a focus on identifying risks and developing effective corrective actions.
- Manage internal audit team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work with the Senior Director, Integrity & Risk, as a thought leader, to implement practical methods and tools for determining potential risks to the organization and make process recommendations to management.
- Advise management on the impact of proposed risks to the organization and recommend updates and changes.
- Identify and provide resolutions to unmitigated or partially mitigated risks, which can result in material financial, operational, or reputational risks for the organization.
- Support the communication of risk policies, processes, and procedures across the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, such as financial management, business, or a related field (graduate degree an asset). Internal Audit or accounting designation strongly desired (e.g., CIA, CPA).
- A minimum of twelve years of professional work experience in auditing, accounting, or the equivalent with exposure to various aspects of finance or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience working with US government and other multinational donors preferred.
- Knowledge of audit and enterprise risk management best practices, and tolerance for risk appropriately balanced with the organization's risk appetite.
- Familiarity with grantee audit monitoring programs is preferred.
- Ability to partner with the Senior Director, Integrity & Risk to establish a strategic direction and subsequently outline initiatives and develop priorities in support of that vision.
- Ability to develop effective and collaborative relationships with organizational leaders, the Executive Team, and the Audit Committee that demonstrate professionalism and independence.
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues using well developed discretion and judgement. Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of information and communicate only appropriate information to individuals at the appropriate time.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully, lead, motivate and manage a diverse team towards strategic goals of an enterprise risk management function.
- Strategic thinker and problem solver; innovative, dynamic, and adaptive. Progressive, forward-looking, risk-based approach with a willingness to fully embrace leading edge practices.
- Strong planning and organizational skills. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Committed to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams.
- Identifies and aligns with WWF’s core values: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration:
- Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular.
- Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable.
- Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
- Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #22159
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.