Director, Agriculture Impact Investing - 22135
World Wide Fund for Nature
Washington, DC, United States
30+ days ago
The Director will identify and lead WWF Impact investments in early-stage startups and growth companies that support innovations essential to achieving multiple conservation goals, including halting deforestation, achieving zero habitat conversion, mitigating GHG emissions, and freezing the footprint of food production. The Director will evaluate new investment opportunities, lead investment due diligence, negotiate terms, make investment recommendations, monitor and assist portfolio companies post-investment, and make portfolio construction recommendations that drive impact priorities and deliver positive financial returns.
- WWF Impact Strategic Implementation: Support WWF Impact senior management to develop and refine a strategy for WWF Impact that is aligned with our conservation mission, is financially viable, and has the potential to scale in size and impact. The Director will play an important role in leading the Agriculture vertical, including: completing sector research, producing key analyses, preparing presentations, and incorporating operational issues necessary to undertake the overall strategy.
- Agriculture Investment Portfolio: Complete many day-day activities of the Agriculture Portfolio to ensure successful execution of the overall strategy. Key components include:
- Lead in the research, design, and implementation of specific and actionable sub-sector strategies across agriculture that can achieve our impact and investing objectives in close partnership with WWF Goal Teams.
- Conduct industry and financial analysis of sectors and prospective investments to support identification of opportunities
- Develop a pipeline of investment opportunities and partnerships, leveraging an established network of relationships (market players, existing investors, innovators, etc.)
- Lead the creation of investment recommendations, impact analysis, due diligence summaries, etc. for the Agriculture Portfolio, that are presented to WWF Impact senior management and investment committees for approval
- Serve as member of daily working team on external market partnerships in the agriculture sector
- Engage company management teams, advisors, co-investors and other stakeholders as necessary to support and manage the portfolio post-investment;
- Stakeholder Engagement: Play a key role in internal coordination and communication with WWF goal teams and other key internal functions (e.g. development). Support external engagement with partners, prospective investments, funders, etc. Coordinate on partners that are critical to the scaling of the agriculture portfolio, including foundations, multi-laterals, and private sector companies that can help execute the strategy;
- Budget Management and Reporting: Support WWF Impact management to ensure that WWF Impact’s reporting and budgeting is accurate, timely, and within budget guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree or a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 10 years of work experience with a background in financial markets, international development, or conservation.
- Prior experience in environmental and conservation-based investing with a focus on the key agriculture sectors and strategies
- Deep understanding of the early-stage investment process with fluency in key technical competencies: pro-forma financial statements, term sheets; returns analysis, investment documentation, capitalization tables, and standard investment processes
- Established track record in fundraising (philanthropic or investor capital) and proven ability to communicate complex issues to donors and investors
- Experience in managing a global network of experts and the ability to connect, collaborate and partner with them
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including effective public speaking and the ability to communicate complex issues both verbally and in written form
- Fluency in English is required, and another language (ideally Spanish) would be useful, as well as strong written, verbal and presentation skills
- Strong coordination and teamwork and excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to manage and deliver against multiple time sensitive priorities
- A dynamic, creative, and outgoing personality with a proven commitment to nature conservation
- Identifies and aligns with the core values of the WWF organization: Courage, Integrity, Respect & Collaboration
- Demonstrates courage by speaking up even when it is difficult, or unpopular.
- Builds trust with colleagues by acting with integrity, owning mistakes, and holding oneself accountable.
- Welcomes other points of view and ideas, recognizing and embracing different and contrary perspectives with kindness, curiosity, and encouragement.
- Makes conscious efforts to promote cooperative practices, behaviors, and ways of working across many groups and individuals.
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #22135
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. WWF values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.