Sustainable Finance Palm Oil Intern
World Wide Fund for Nature
30+ days ago
Position Title: Sustainable Finance Palm Oil Intern
Department: Conservation (Global Palm Oil)
Reports to: Global Palm Oil Team
Date: 3 months/ 6 months
- About World Wide Fund for Nature, Singapore (WWF)
WWF-Singapore is a Singapore-registered charity, a network member of WWF International – one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organisations. WWF-Singapore protects critical resources for people in Singapore by driving change across government, business, civil society and local communities. To meet key conservation goals, we address issues such as deforestation, haze pollution, seafood sustainability and illegal wildlife trade in Singapore and around the region. We deliver transformational corporate partnerships, fundraising to execute local and global conservation programmes and projects and community outreach to achieve WWF’s global goals for food, forests, oceans, water, wildlife, and climate and energy. As one of WWF’s global hubs, WWF-Singapore supports a global network that spans over 100 countries.
WWF’s vision is a future where all palm oil is produced without causing deforestation, peatland and environmental degradation or harming wildlife, where workers are treated fairly, and communities' rights are respected, and producers including smallholder farmers have access to tools for responsible production and access to benefit from the market for responsible palm oil.
WWF’s goals for palm oil are to:
- Protect: Wildlife and the environment is protected from expansion, and palm oil driven deforestation and natural habitat conversion is halted
- Produce: Production is sustainable in resilient and biodiverse landscapes, no longer contributes to climate change, and the industry provides sustainable livelihoods, reduces poverty and respects human rights
- Restore: The industry becomes a driver for wildlife conservation and restoration efforts, ensuring that landscapes with palm oil are healthy and living
- Major Functions:
Sustainable finance is an important instrument in driving stakeholders across the value chain towards WWF’s sustainable palm oil agenda. To do this, we work with key finance sector players including banks, investors, regulators, and stock exchanges. As a sustainable finance intern within the global palm oil team, you will be doing research and building business case studies on the good practices within the financial institutions on sustainable palm oil policies and tools. In the course of the project, you will be working closely with members of the Global Palm Oil Team, Asia Sustainable Finance Team and WWF offices around the world to build upon your work.
- Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct relevant literature review and analysis of the sustainable finance market related to the palm oil industry (including but not limited to Bankable Nature-Based Solutions, Regenerative Agriculture, Net Zero targets of companies & governments and Climate Change)
- Stakeholder Mapping of FIs and banks in priority markets based on findings from the WWF’s finance flow study and research
- Linking sustainable finance to regulations of central banks and financial regulators
- Manage research on palm oil supply chains, ESG issues and other sustainable finance related topics; design internal briefs and presentations for WWF offices
- Prepare workshop materials – presentation slides and case studies
- Perform other related duties as needed to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the team
- Required Qualifications and Skills :
- Degree curriculum, in either finance, economics, sustainable development, or environment management
- Masters in finance or economics is preferred
- A good understanding of how environmental concerns relate to material business risks and opportunities
- General knowledge of the finance sector levers for change as they relate to sustainability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, along with the maturity to work in a global, multi-cultural environment
- Flexibility and ability to work on other projects as needed
- Strong research, analytical and data management skills
- Good organisational skills
This job description covers the main tasks. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
We may also disclose personal data about you to our affiliates in the network in order to manage our relationship with you.
Interested candidates are required to submit their cover letter and resume to the HR Department of WWF-Singapore (Email: email@example.com ). Please indicate the position being applied for ‘Sustainable Finance Palm Oil Intern’ in the subject line.
Important Note: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.