Head of Market Transformation
World Wide Fund for Nature
30+ days ago
Position title: Head of Market Transformation
Reports to : Conservation Director
About World Wide Fund for Nature, Singapore (WWF)
WWF-Singapore is a Singapore-registered charity, a network member of WWF International – one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organisations. WWF-Singapore protects critical natural resources for people in Singapore and supports a global network that spans over 100 countries. WWF-Singapore addresses issues important to Singapore and the region, such as climate change, deforestation, marine pollution and illegal wildlife trade. We achieve this through community-based conservation and restoration efforts in key landscapes and seascapes, and by innovative approaches for market transformation, sustainable finance, policy and advocacy, and education and outreach.
The Head of Market Transformation is responsible for developing and implementing a market transformation strategy in Singapore. They lead the market transformation team to drive industry engagement via a targeted approach with companies, not-for-profit organisations, associations and business sectors to improve sustainability commitments, to pilot innovative solutions, and to develop, share and scale the adoption of best practices. Key initiatives are focused on deforestation related commodities especially palm oil, plastic pollution and the circular economy, and climate change and decarbonisation. The post-holder supports other programmes through cross-departmental collaboration where business engagement is required, notably on wildlife crime, responsible tourism and food security (especially seafood).
As a member of the Conservation and Science department, the post-holder works in cross-functional programme teams including closely with Fundraising, Global Palm Oil, Sustainable Finance and Marketing and Communications. They act as WWF-Singapore’s network focal point for market transformation and they proactively manage key relationships with partners including with government agencies that have a mandate to develop environmentally-responsible business.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead market transformation initiatives and projects, ensuring sound design and management to achieve measurable, impactful goals and targets.
- Lead the market transformation team effectively and ensure good integration with the conservation department and collaboration within the office, notably with education and outreach, corporate partnerships and philanthropy, global palm oil, sustainable finance, and marketing andcommunications teams.
- Mentor and guide the programme teams related to net zero carbon, circular economy and sustainable palm oil. Ensure these programmes are rooted in impactful market transformation initiatives with SMART goals and targets.
- Provide support for all other conservation programmes where market transformation is an approach, notably the programmes for illegal wildlife trade (ecommerce and shipping), sustainable finance, and marine conservation (seafood, plastics and sustainable tourism).
- Ensure successful design and management of market transformation projects, to include associated work plans, budgets, staff, monitoring and reporting of budgets, contracts and key performance indicators,, contracting and managing third-party consultants, meeting any audit requirements and managing stakeholder relations. This must be delivered in accordance with WWF network standards and WWF-Singapore policies and processes.
- Ensure the successful management, forward-planning and delivery of priority initiatives for WWF-Singapore, including SASPO (https://saspo.org/), PACT (https://plastic-action.asia/) and Hamurni (https://hamurni.com/), a first mile traceability platform for palm oil and other commodities from plantation to mill.
- Work with the Fundraising and Finance teams to develop and manage budgets, proposals and donor reports, and support fundraising initiatives, events and related efforts.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team to develop timely, factual and engaging communications material on market transformation for targeted demographics, and support communicationinitiatives on projects and tasks as relevant. This should include the design and publication of cutting-edge industry-facing reports, and the delivery of webinars and events, where deemed necessary, to achieve strategic goals and targets.
- Build and maintain excellent working relations with priority stakeholders for market transformation, including industry associations, companies, nonprofits and government agencies.
- Act as WWF-Singapore advisor on market transformation and as the office focal point for the WWF International Markets Practice. Represent WWF-Singapore at external and internal events and in response to other requests including media enquiries, as needed.
- Attend and/or organise workshops, events and meetings as necessary for programmatic success.
- Organise and coordinate meetings and workshops with internal staff, external colleagues and partners.
- Any other tasks as required by the line manager.
Required qualifications and skills :
- Degree in business administration, sustainable business, environmental sciences or related fields. Post graduate qualifications will be highly regarded.
- Minimum five years’ experience in a relevant field, with experience in project management, corporate sustainability, environmental consultation or management consulting focusing on decarbonisation, circular economy and/or sustainable commodities. Experience in Southeast Asia / Singapore business context is highly regarded.
- Minimum five years’ experience with managing teams and/or staff, ideally in Southeast Asia / Singapore.
- An ability to think strategically and respond rapidly to changes in business and socio-political landscapes.
- Excellent project and resource management skills. Successful fundraising experience is highly desirable.
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent command of English. Another official language of Southeast Asia is desirable.
- Good organisational skills.
You need to:
- Be a self-starter with a high level of drive.
- Be results-focused and a dynamic personality who is solutions-oriented and collaborative.
- Empower and mentor others, being able to work both independently and as part of a team according to task requirements.
- Work proactively and effectively with key stakeholders in industry, and be able to mobilise their active participation.
- Have great organisational skills, attention and dedication to details.
- Be able to handle coordination of various stakeholders and/or partners on complex projects.
- Be able to think strategically and apply this to design and execution of plans.
- Have proven experience in stakeholder relationship management.
- Adhere to WWF’s values, which are: Courage, Integrity, Respect and Collaboration.
This job description covers the main tasks. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
We may also disclose personal data about you to our affiliates in the network in order to manage our relationship with you.
Interested candidates are required to submit their cover letter and resume to the HR Department of WWF-Singapore (Email: email@example.com ). Please indicate the position being applied for ‘ Head of Market Transformation ’ in the subject line.