Programme Officer, Community Engagement & Education (Kuching, Sarawak)
World Wide Fund for Nature
14 days ago
Purpose of Job
This is a Programme Officer position based in Sarawak, under the Community Empowerment (CE) strategy. The purpose of this job is to implement action plans, support and coordinate, and monitor and evaluate programmes and projects relating to communities in Sarawak.
The job provides direct reporting to the Manager - CEE, Sarawak with regards to the conservation programme in Sarawak; and technical reporting to the national CEE Manager. The technical reporting will be utilised in consultation with relevant Landscape Managers and/or Team Leaders in key activities such as strategic and decision-making in projects and programmes, and donor relations.
This job will be guided by the WWF Mission and Network policies, and strategies set within the WWF-Malaysia Conservation Strategy 2021-2030, the Sarawak Conservation Strategy, BENGO or their subsequent projects, and other WWF-Malaysia’s conservation strategies relevant to Sarawak and Heart of Borneo (HoB) Initiative.
1. Effective implementation of the activities in the Highlands of Sarawak under the Sarawak Conservation Programme Community Empowerment strategy, BENGO, HoB thematic programmes and projects pertaining to community work (directly or indirectly).
2. Reports on the outcomes of monitoring and evaluation on CE strategy and activities within Sarawak and HoB initiatives.
3. Periodic minutes of meetings and field reports submitted to the Manager – CEE Sarawak.
4. Good working relationships and networking with partners, especially community/civil society-based organisations.
5. Awareness on WWF’s Environmental and Social Safeguards Framework (ESSF) messaging among the communities we work with, including effective monitoring and implementation of any mitigation measures as and when necessary.
1. Support CEE team in developing and monitoring action plans for Sarawak Conservation Programme, focusing on the Community Engagement and Education in the highlands, and HoB.
2. Support CEE related activities across the three landscapes, under the Sarawak Conservation Programme.
3. Monitor, manage and implement the Riverbank Restoration Project in Long Semadoh and Systems of Rice Intensification (SRI) Rice Farming Project in Ba’ Kelalan.
4. Act as liaison person for partnership building and project implementation, in a coordinated manner. This includes engagement with other stakeholders/agencies that are relevant for partnership and capacity building for the effective implementation of the project’s conservation objectives and goals, and for its contribution towards the HoB’s five pillars for conservation and sustainable development.
5. Lead the team to conduct socialization of ESSF standards, social policies and grievance mechanisms with local communities in the three landscapes.
6. Participate in various Civil Society and government forums (e.g. meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences, networks, mailing lists/list serves, WWF –Malaysia websites, etc.) that allow for the promotion of CEE programmes and projects specifically for WWF-Malaysia programmes and other activities in general.
7. Ensure that Sarawak Conservation Programme, especially the Community Engagement activities in the highlands are consistent with the policies of WWF-Malaysia and the WWF Network.
8. Organise relevant consultations, workshops and dialogues in collaboration with other team members.
9. Provide technical support to Programme Leader Sarawak and CEE Manager, and in any reasonable form and manner that may include preparing presentation papers, securing technical documents for assessment and making contact with key external persons on the subject of CEE.
10. To undertake any other assignments relevant to the overall objectives of the Sarawak Conservation Programme.
1. A Bachelor’s Degree and professional background in a field relevant to Community Engagement and Education (preference is given to the fields of Sustainable Development, Anthropology, Sociology, Conservation Sciences, or Forestry with credits on subjects relevant to CEE).
2. At least three (3) years working experience in community engagement and education. Working experience in river restoration / organic farming is an advantage.
3. Mature, able to work with minimal supervision, and has the capacity to make decisions or act on issues with professionalism.
4. Must be able to travel alone or with team members within town or remote areas (with or without basic amenities) frequently.
5. Must be willing and available to spend time (up to a few weeks at a time) at a project site/other sites as required by the project work plans.
6. Excellent written and oral skills in both English language and Bahasa Malaysia. Ability to communicate in a Sarawak native language (Iban/ Lun Bawang/ Kelabit) is an advantage.
7. Must be computer literate and have the ability to use appropriate technology for presentation to partners, stakeholders and potential donors.
8. Good organising and management skills.
9. Good interpersonal skills, innovative thinking, versatile ability to work in a team and work independently.
10. Good understanding of current issues especially having knowledge on environmental and conservation issues.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Contract length: 24 months
Salary: RM3,200.00 - RM3,600.00 per month
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Opportunities for promotion
- Professional development
- Work from home
- Flexible hours
- Monday to Friday
Application Deadline: 10/13/2022