(Senior) Manager - Nature Conservation and Economy
World Wide Fund for Nature
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
30+ days ago
(Senior) Manager – Nature Conservation and Economy
Emirates Nature-WWF is a UAE environmental non-governmental organization, established under the patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s representative in the Western Region and Chairman of Environmental Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD).
Emirates Nature-WWF (EN-WWF) is implementing two flagship projects aiming to promote the importance of Sustainable Blue Economy as well as to test and scale up Nature-based Solutions (NbS). Demonstrating the socio-economic benefits of coastal ecosystems and creating opportunities for small scale enterprises that positively contribute to nature conservation/restoration, climate, and food security are some of the key objectives of our work. The projects also aim to influence decision making by making the case for scaling up investment and policy incentives towards NbS including developing/ financing Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) as the basis of a diversified economic model in the UAE.
To achieve these goals, EN-WWF is seeking an outstanding team member who will lead the implementation of the socio-economic project-related activities; including developing a business case for MPAs, design and implement proof of concept for potentially bankable NbS projects, lead the design of a framework to guide decision making based on SBE Principles, etc. The Manager is expected to ensure effective implementation of these activities within expected timelines and budgets, successfully engage with key stakeholders, as well as work in collaboration with project teams, experts and consultants where relevant. The manager will be required to follow best practice in project management and reporting for the activities they will oversee.
Bankable NBS – proof of concept and pilot design, implementation and technical/commercial reporting
- Lead development of MPA Business Case and finance/investment planning for MPA as the basis of sustainable economic development in UAQ.
- Scope, develop detailed workplans plans and lead technical/commercial evaluation of candidate Bankable NbS; such as ecotourism ecolabel for tourism operators, ecotourism development/MPA management concessions, agroecology in coastal ecosystems, coastal fisheries transition
- Provide input and contribute to ideation and implementation of other project streams; such as developing financing/investment partnerships and mechanisms towards NbS, community/beneficiaries assessment
- Research and create related content for internal briefs, pitch decks, and technical / non-technical reports of candidate projects
- Work closely with NBS project team members and experts to gather required input across various disciplines
- Develop scope of work, procure and manage external consultants and associated deliverables as relevant
- Ensure effective coordination with key stakeholders, government and private, in collaboration with project teams and senior management of ENWWF
- Provide timely inputs in progress report preparation and work with administrative teams in budget monitoring
- Identify project risks and together with impact manager oversee risk management and monitoring and evaluation framework
Project Manage Sustainable Blue Economy Project
- Responsible for developing detailed workplans and the successful implementation of project activities within tight deadlines
- Prepare donor and partner progress reports, ensure technical reports / project deliverables are of high quality and follow best practices
- Conduct research on SBE frameworks and lead/oversee technical studies related to SBE economic sectors evaluation, etc.
- Lead workshop preparation with key stakeholders and integrate their input into ENWWF work
- Liaise with project stakeholders, prepare briefs, presentations and collateral
- Support the organization in identifying new and managing strategic partnerships and relationships with stakeholders
Advise and integrate best practice and best available science in ENWWF portfolio
- Keep abreast with international best practices and regional activities linked to decarbonization to ensure that the solutions that EN-WWF offers are always relevant with the global (including WWF relevant priority areas) and local context.
- Provide input and offer technical presentations to ENWWF staff, stakeholders and volunteers on project to build capacity and alignment
- Advise on communication campaigns related to climate and decarbonization
- Support in communications, thought leadership and coordination for Climate COP28
- Support in general fundraising activities for the conservation portfolio
- 8+ years of experience in sustainability, business strategy and management, environmental economics, international conservation and development
- Experience in all aspects of project design and management (e.g. planning, funding proposal development, monitoring and reporting)
- Strong experience in research and writing in topics of nature conservation (sustainable blue economy), natural capital, value of ecosystems
- Demonstrated knowledge of, & experience in commercial analysis and business plan preparation
- Research, analytical & problem-solving skills, incl. an ability to identify strategic issues & develop innovative responses to achieve outcomes
- Demonstrated track record in stakeholder engagement, partnership development and reporting.
- Degree in business sustainability, environmental economics, nature conservation, or related subjects.
- Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of Arabic is highly desirable
EN-WWF Focus: Acts as a member of EN-WWF, placing higher priority on EN -WWF goals than own goals and anticipating the effects of own area’s actions on others to ensure holistic EWS-WWF outcomes.
External Orientation: Looks outwards ensuring WWF stays relevant, continues to anticipate and adapt to external environmental and global trends.
Delivering Quality Outcomes: Establishes stretch goals, plans, using best judgment and takes responsibility for planning to and delivering on outcomes.
Building Working Relationships: Builds collaborative relationships through the understanding and development of other’s and own ideas.
Communicating Effectively: Uses appropriate means of communication to convey messages, seeks input from others and ensures understanding.
Leading Change: Encourages and seeks out innovative solutions and brings people on a journey constructively and empathetically.
- Results oriented and focused
- We passionately seek impactful solutions to overcome the planets greatest challenges
- Uses a science-based approach and applies facts, logic and professional knowledge to create impact, displaying a strong understanding of the issues
- Demonstrates focus, determination, efficiency and accountability
- Consistently delivers high-quality work
- Acts and communicates openly, constructively and ethically, and is sensitive to other people and cultures
- Treats others fairly and respects others points of view, creating an environment of trust
- Is consistent, honest and transparent in what one does and says
- Demonstrates self-awareness, manages own emotional response, and is aware of the impact of own behavior on others
- Demonstrates professionalism and upholds a high regard for the reputation of the organization
- We live the principles and standards we call on others to meet, and hold each other accountable
- Shows empathy, listens, asks questions and shows consideration and understanding for others
- Is approachable, empowers others, provides trust and mutual respect
- We remain optimistic, light-hearted and participates in celebrating success together
- Recognizes the value that each individual brings to the collective impact of the organization
- Embraces diversity and inclusion
- Speaking with one voice, unified by one mission, shared values and common priorities
- Seeks to build powerful and aligned networks with government, organizations and communities
- Demonstrates perseverance and commitment to the Mission and Vision of the organization
- Acts with confidence and from a position of strength
- Takes measured risks and encourages action
- Inspires hope and optimism
- Stays informed of external developments and trends and adapts accordingly
- Pursues avenues for continuous learning and development
- Stays open-minded, seeks innovative and creative solutions
- Flexible and open to change and others view-points, remains calm and confident during change
- Embraces feedback
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, generating innovative ways to drive climate and energy work in the UAE.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to perform under pressure.
- Excellent proven stakeholder management and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent relationship-building skills and exceptional teamwork abilities.
- Demonstrable ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Self-starter and able to prioritize activities accordingly.
- Set challenging but realistic goals and solve problems effectively.
- Produce high quality products/services with attention to detail.
- Supportive, constructive and open to influence in dealing with others.
- Friendly, open, and sensitive to the satisfaction of the work group.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic (desirable).
Internal - Works closely with Head of Climate and other Unit members such as the Conservation Director, coordinates as required with all units; including Communications, Operations, Business Development teams, advises and supports ENWWF high level engagement in climate dialogues
How to apply
Please send your application consisting of a cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate to work with EN-WWF and your CV with the subject ‘Application for SBE Manager’ to the attention of Ms Magdalena Tayoun on firstname.lastname@example.org before 31st January 2023.