Project Coordinator - Conservation
Emirates Nature is a UAE environmental non-governmental organization, established under the patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s representative in the Western Region and Chairman of Environmental Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD).
We work in association with WWF (hereafter EN-WWF), one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organizations. EN-WWF has been active in the UAE since 2001 and has successfully initiated and implemented several conservation and education projects and initiatives in the region.
Project implementation for resilient communities programme and biodiversity conservation and integration with membership products.
- Collaborate with the Project Manager to conceptualize, plan, and design conservation projects.
- Effectively implement tasks assigned by the project manager as per agreed schedules.
- Assist the project manager in monitoring project expenses aligned with project workplans and budgets.
- Lead internal project progress meetings, update project timelines, support external meetings and keep minutes of meetings.
- Provide support in administering contracts of external consultants and vendors, as well as monitoring timely and high-quality submission of agreed deliverables and outputs.
- Contribute to the successful delivery of scientific research related to the projects.
- Organize logistics, conduct field surveys, record, and analyze data.
- Lead teams of volunteers in the field for different research activities through the EN-WWF’s Leaders of Change (LOC) programme.
- Develop appropriate databases for the project and ensure all data collected are safely stored and made available to the end users.
- Assist in inviting scientific institutions to collaborate on specific themes in line with the project research strategy.
- Assist in managing interns, volunteers and external scientists and ensure all data collected by outsiders is stored in the project database and remains available for the benefit of the project.
- Compile data and findings to compute presentations, reports, and scientific articles.
- Monitor construction activities to ensure compliance with project specifications and quality standards.
- Ensure all involved in fieldwork adheres to safety guidelines.
- Contribute to developing education material and provide outreach/education staff with appropriate scientific materials including photos and advice.
- Manage assets and facilitate the procurement and acquisition of scientific equipment.
- Conduct inspections and quality checks at various project stages.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date project documentation, including drawings, permits, and contracts.
- Generate regular progress reports for project stakeholders.
- Contribute to the organization and engagement of local communities through majlises.
- Planning, implementation, and monitoring of tree planting activities at project sites.
- Support project manager in identifying partnerships and fundraising needs and in developing concept notes as required.
- Provide support on WWF Reporting and EN-WWF Annual Report
- Successful and timely delivery of tasks assigned by the line manager within agreed time and budget.
- Expenses monthly reports, meetings, and reviews with finance team
- Project Impact KPIs (e.g. x falaj restored, species identified, trails created etc.)
- Project progress updates, technical and non-technical reports, scientific papers
- Deliverables for projects on time
- Assistance in logistics, science-based links of the citizen science, outreach & volunteer products
- Permits obtained for construction and volunteering activities.
- Close liaison with different stakeholders.
- Contributions to annual reports, scientific reports, publications, and WWF reports.
- At least 2 years’ experience in project execution and implementation of environmental conservation
- Graduate degree in environmental science, conservation biology, agriculture, or relevant field
- Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable. High level of cultural sensitivity and awareness, with ability to work in a multi-cultural setting.
- Excellent relationship-building skills, including the use of verbal and written communication.
- Ability to manage project-related assignments and relationships professionally and efficiently.
- Good understanding of UAE nature conservation and culture environment.
- Proven knowledge and experience in the non-profit sector, preferably with environmental non-government organizations.
- Must be able to travel throughout UAE when required.
- UAE driving licence
EN-WWF Focus: Acts as a member of Emirates Nature-WWF, placing higher priority on Emirates Nature-WWF goals than own goals and anticipating the effects of own area’s actions on others to ensure holistic Emirates Nature-WWF outcomes.
External Orientation: Looks outwards ensuring WWF stays relevant, continues to anticipate and adapt to external environmental and global trends.
Delivering Quality Outcomes: Establishes stretch goals, plans, using best judgment and takes responsibility for planning to and delivering on outcomes.
Building Working Relationships: Builds collaborative relationships through the understanding and development of other’s and own ideas.
Communicating Effectively: Uses appropriate means of communication to convey messages, seeks input from others and ensures understanding.
Leading Teams: Develops direction and shared purpose, builds a team through coaching to ensure the accomplishment of goals and high-level team performance.
Leading Change: Encourages and seeks out innovative solutions and brings people on a journey constructively and empathetically.
Managing Resources: Makes the right judgments based on financial and resource availability.
Establishing Strategic Direction: Generates options to achieve long-range goals, selects the best strategies for success and delivers on strategic goals.
- Environmental Knowledge
- Proficiency in Project Management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Community Engagement
Internal - Works closely with Conservation and Operations teams.
- Impact driven
- Balance between proactivity and reactivity
- Plan but not over-plan
- Implement innovatively with a future driven mindset.
- Being courageous
- Embedding MTP with impact at scale
- Embrace decision making process based on adaptive management.
- Ensure all changes in decisions do not move away from original goal and MTP
- Keeping to the ambition/vision/goal and MTP
- Ensure we are meeting the plan to achieve goals whilst adapting tactical plans along the way
- Working together as a matrix organization to implement strongly
- Be confident
- Believe in success
- Retain high level of ethics
Emirates Nature-WWF is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and offer a flexible and diverse place of employment.
How to apply
Please send your application consisting of a cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate to work with EN-WWF and your CV with the subject ‘Application for Project Coordinator’ to the attention of HR Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org before 29th February 2024.