Special Projects Specialist, Climate
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
30+ days ago
As the Special Projects Specialist for the Climate program, you will play a pivotal role in the seamless operation of the Global Climate team. In this position, you will support the development and execution of key program events, strategies, and meetings. You will lead the planning processes and support implementation for key external and internal events and serve as the principal liaison to the Climate team and WRI’s core departments. You will also support the Program Leadership by coordinating inputs to key presentations, strategies, and program documents. This position will liaise with staff throughout WRI’s global network and must be able to independently manage relationships and shifting priorities in a fast-paced international organization.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based in Washington, DC once restrictions have been lifted.
- Lead coordination and implementation support for Climate team special projects, to include collecting inputs into program strategy documents, supporting on the development of key presentations and processes, and other needs, as assigned
- Provide primary support for completing the Climate team’s five-year strategic plan, and subsequent annual planning and reporting – including managing deadlines for input, synthesizing inputs, and coordinating with external consultants
- Lead the project management for planning and execution of major events for the Climate program
- Manage the coordination and planning process for program management meetings, retreats and activities
- Drive innovations in improvements with systems and communications among the team
- Serve as the principal liaison for the Climate team to WRI’s internal core function teams to coordinate institutional needs and contributions from the Climate team
- Support Senior Operations Manager in coordination of sensitive internal processes, including staff compensation and promotions, long-term staff development, staffing & organization charts, projected new hires, and other operational assignments as needed.
- Lead on knowledge management of team digital files, cloud storage, intranet and Sharepoint systems
- Ability to maintain key relationships, both internal and external
- Professional demeanor and superior people skills; ability to maintain confidentiality
- Experience with project management tools like Asana or Monday strongly preferred
- Experience working in a global organization strongly preferred
$53,000 - $68,000. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
The Global Climate Program seeks to identify barriers, develop the tools, and advise policy makers in the pursuit of advancing transformative solutions for climate change mitigation and adaptation. Stabilizing the global climate is the greatest challenge of the 21st century, but there are approaches and technologies available now to overcome this global challenge. WRI's Global Climate Program engages businesses, policymakers and civil society at the local, national and international levels to help communities adapt to the unavoidable impacts of human-induced climate change and mitigate the severity of future impacts. This is pursued through collective international action, national climate policies, business and economic approaches, and more.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and our operating budget is nearing $200 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of over 1,600 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.