Senior Research Associate: Ocean Data
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
1 day ago
This position will be based in the WRI US office (DC) and is remote eligible. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor work authorization for this position.
About the program:
The World Resources Institute's (WRI) Ocean Program is focused on accelerating progress toward a sustainable ocean economy and achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 14 - the Ocean Goal. The program supports efforts to address the numerous challenges the ocean faces and encourages conservation of the marine environment alongside the sustainable use of marine resources. Through the Ocean Program, WRI has set out to build a greater understanding among governments, business leaders, financiers, and practitioners of the opportunities, solutions, values, and contribution of the ocean to the global economy, human health, and wellbeing, and to accelerate knowledge-based decision-making and solutions that drive inclusive ocean-based economic opportunities while sustaining ocean ecosystems and coastal populations.
You will turn ocean data into action toward a sustainable and equitable ocean economy. By engaging ocean data users from around the world you will document the needs of decision-makers and identify opportunities for pursuing ocean data and technology projects that help resolve issues in human-centered ocean management and planning. You will manage a data team - with strategic support from the Research Associate: Sustainable Ocean Economies - and partners, and use and maintain assets such as Ocean Watch. You will be supported by members of the Ocean Program, and you will report to the Research Associate for Sustainable Ocean Economies.
What will you do:
Project Implementation and Management: 60%
- Lead the implementation and management of ocean data and technology projects, including monitoring project timelines, budget and deliverables
- Collaborate on donor reporting and engagement- including managing the implementation of relevant grants and delivery, internal and external reporting and donor stewardship
- Establish new partnerships to develop tools and deliver complex data products
- Create and align opportunities across the broader WRI ocean project portfolio, and with other relevant teams/centers/offices wherein ocean data and technology can play a role
- Represent WRI in events and engagements
- Lead the production of original research and analysis, developing materials for use on WRI's communications channels, including blogs, articles (academic and public interest) and other media that ocean data stakeholders engage with, to establish WRI's voice on ocean data related matters and topical issues
Fundraising and Strategy: 30%
- Use the Ocean Watch Platform and user research as a means to pursue technological development and data-centered research that supports stakeholders in better managing and sustainably engaging with the ocean
- Work in close collaboration with members of the Ocean Program to develop the strategy for the evolution and sustainability of the Ocean Watch platform, and prioritize associated research and project activities
- Develop new funding and project opportunities to use ocean data and technology to solve topical challenges and help resolve issues in human-centered ocean management and planning
- Help develop the Ocean Program's strategy regarding ocean data and related technology needs
- Lead grant writing and funder engagement for identified opportunities related to Ocean Watch and ocean data and manage donor relationships
Team management: 10%
- Manage staff that join the ocean data team taking responsibility for their professional development by guiding them in the production of high-quality research and the conduct of data analysis, visualization, and other forms of manipulation Additionally, in keeping with WRI's commitment to gender equity across our programs, the manager will contribute to the identification of relevant gender issues, as determined through a gender analysis, and ensure adequate attention to these issues in the project and partner development, budgeting and management.
What you will need:
- Education: You have a Masters in a related field in Marine and Coastal Science, Oceanography, Environmental Science, Data Science, Economics or related field
- Experience: You have 7+ years of full-time work experience (inclusive of 1+ years of project and product management experience on data and open data issues), with knowledge of important ocean decision-making processes. You have been in a role that requires understanding of important issues in the ocean data space with a focus on decision-making and how data can support better outcomes. You also have previous experience connecting research results to measurable external change
- You also have previous experience manipulating and analyzing large and often complex geospatial and tabular datasets using a range of desktop and online tools
- Ability to identify what ocean stakeholders need and create knowledge and data products that can support those needs
- Past experience working with partners and assessing the need of stakeholder groups
- Languages: Verbal and written English required.
- Requirements: Existing US work authorization is required at the time of application. WRI is unable to sponsor work authorization for this position.
Potential Salary: $79,000-$106,000 if based in the US. Salary is determined by experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter along with a copy of your resume by September 23, 2022. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications