This position is remote-eligible and only for consideration within the United States where WRI is state registered. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship for this position.
About the Program:
WRI’s Electric School Bus Initiative aims to collaborate with partners and communities to build unstoppable momentum toward an equitable transition of the U.S. school bus fleet to electric by 2030, bringing health, climate, and economic benefits to children and families across the country and normalizing electric mobility for an entire generation. The Initiative sits at the intersection of WRI’s Climate, Cities, and Energy programmatic areas.
In this role, you will work as part of a team of subject matter experts on research and education activities that answer questions like: What is the total cost to own and operate electric school buses? How does this compare to traditional diesel vehicles? What funding and financing resources are available and what barriers exist, and how can these be overcome, especially for underserved districts? You will execute qualitative and quantitative research and analysis tasks that inform the Initiative’s policy advocacy efforts and implementation activities, centering equity across all work.
You will work closely with colleagues across the Initiative and will work closely within the two primary workstreams where this position is housed: Funding & Finance and Equity.
You will report to the eMobility Financial Solutions Manager with a secondary reporting line to the WRI-US Director of Environmental Justice & Equity.
What you will do:
Research Assistance (70%)
- Design and conduct research in collaboration with colleagues, including collection and synthesis of qualitative and quantitative information. This may involve preparing and implementing surveys, interviews, and data collection and management processes.
- Analyze publications, interview transcripts, program data, and other sources to draw out insights, including through statistical methods, and other learnings.
- Lead and facilitate webinars, meetings, and virtual workshops/conferences on transportation electrification, equity, funding & finance, and other topics and summarize key takeaways.
Communication, engagement, and coordination (30%)
- Prepare slide decks, write memorandums, and create resources for internal and external audiences to convey information, present analysis, and provide recommendations.
- Conduct outreach to internal and external partners and stakeholders to strengthen relationships and collaborate on projects.
- Manage publications through development and review processes.
What you will need:
- Education: You have a completed Bachelors degree.
- Experience: You have 3+ years full-time relevant work experience. You have had exposure to or experience with research, policy, community organizing, education, program administration or project management.
- Knowledge of or experience applying societal equity concepts to real-world situations
- Coursework, experience, or interest in economics, finance, or cost-benefit analysis
- Experience using various Microsoft Office tools such as Powerpoint, Word, and Excel
- Languages: Verbal and written proficiency in English required.
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of 5 December 2022. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.