Program Operations Coordinator, Global Climate Program
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
21 days ago
About the Program
The world needs to cut its emissions in half by 2030 and reach net-zero by mid-century to prevent the worst effects of climate change. To address this urgent and daunting challenge, WRI's Global Climate Program undertakes research to evaluate the technical, economic and social benefits of climate action, as well as the costs of inaction. We work with national governments, international policymakers, businesses, civil society, local governments, and other non-state actors as they pursue their own emissions-reduction and adaptation goals, and we build tools to track global progress and ensure equity and accountability in delivering on those goals. https://www.wri.org/climate
You will work with our Sr. Operations Manager to review and analyze Program financial health and communicate risks to Sr. Program leadership. You will support the broader Climate Operations team in the development, maintenance, and use of internal tools and policies, and provide direct project support across budgeting, contracts, grants, events, and other needs as they arise. You will be supported by a team of project and finance specialists within the Climate Program, and will work with our central accounting, and other administrative teams. You will report to the Sr. Operations Manager.
What you will do
Program Financial Management (40% time)
- Prepare monthly financial reports on overall program spending, forecast, revenue, and other budget activities
- Review data for consistency and needed updates
- Identify project and individual staff risks across the program and work with project coordinators and Operations team to source solution options
- Lead aspects of Climate Program's quarterly and annual financial planning, in close collaboration with Sr. Operations Manager
- Assist with complex, multi-year, and cross-Program grant proposals and donor financial reports, as assigned
Program Operations (40% time)
- Support development of new processes, reports and systems to improve program operational efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency
- Perform special projects as assigned by Operations Managers
- Prepare monthly timesheet guidance and manage staff timesheet submissions in collaboration with project coordinators and Operations associates
- Update internal organizational materials
Project Management Support (20% time)
- Backstop project coordinator positions and provide stand-in coverage during program growth or position turnover, as assigned
- Advise project managers on budget management, including use of advanced budgeting software, monthly financial tracking, and expense forecasting and revenue analysis
- Prepare subgrant and contract agreements, monitor partner and vendor deliverables, and pay invoices in compliance with WRI policy
- Prepare project proposal budgets and donor financial reports.
What you will Need
- Education: You have a completed Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, accounting, business, nonprofit management, or with experience demonstrating your familiarity with the necessary knowledge
- Experience: You have 2+ years full-time relevant work experience in financial management, budgeting, operations, or a sufficiently relevant field
- You will have experience in process orientation and organizational systems
- You will have prior experience using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), web-based communications (Teams, Zoom), with CRM database (Salesforce), and specialized budgeting experience
- Commitment to WRI's mission, and approach
- Languages: We are looking for proficiency in written and spoken English, though you may have opportunities to use Spanish, Portuguese, Indonesian, Amharic, Mandarin, and Hindi in communication with Climate Program colleagues
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
$46,000- $60,000 Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of September 23 2022. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
What we offer
- Generous retirement benefits
- Health insurance benefits
- Family leave
- Dental and vision insurance
- Life and disability insurance
- Salary is determined by experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a great compensation and benefits package.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.