Operations Manager, Finance Center
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
26 days ago
This position is remote-eligible and only for consideration within the United States where WRI is state registered. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship for this position.
About the program:
WRI’s Sustainable Finance Center (https://www.wri.org/finance) works to shift the world’s financial flows to support sustainable development and climate action. We produce data-driven, policy-actionable research and convene coalitions that can influence financial institutions and markets. Our work is structured around five key themes: (1) financing NDC implementation, (2) “greening” private sector finance, (3) strengthening public financial institutions, (4) encouraging the U.S. and China to be sustainable finance champions, and (5) UN Climate Finance.
In this role, you will provide financial oversight of the Center’s annual $4M+ budget, develop and promote program management and development/fundraising best practices, and assist with human resource issues for a global team with staff in the US, Europe, China, and India.
You will be lead and be supported by team of 2-3 Operations and Administrative staff members.
You will report to the Sustainable Finance Center Director.
What you will do:
Budgeting and Financial Management (40% time)
- Oversee day-to-day project finances, ensuring budgets are up to date in WRI’s financial software and expenses are accurately charged.
- Prepare monthly budget summary reports for the Global Director and alert them to funding gaps or other financial concerns.
- Lead the Center’s quarterly and annual financial review meetings and respond to monthly financial review questions.
- Develop and implement new systems, approaches, and trainings to more efficiently manage and make transparent the Center’s finances.
- Serve as the Finance Center’s focal point for budgeting and financial management and represent the Center in all finance and operations-related meetings.
Grants & Contracts Management (30% time)
- Collaborate with project managers to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of complex international and multi-lateral grants and contracts
- Engage with donors, partners, consultants, and vendors on financial and compliance-related concerns, proposing and implementing solutions in collaboration with project managers and WRI core support staff
- Assist in tracking contract deliverables to ensure that they are submitted within the period of performance and coordinate the submission of invoices
- Support donor and grants management by keeping CRM database updated with timely and accurate information.
Program Management (30% time)
- Manage Center Operations and Administrative staff, including their hiring and training, as relevant
- Provide strategic operations advice to Global Director in resolving operational issues and mitigating against operational risks
- Assist with staffing issues in the US, Europe, and China, including inter-office personnel management, recommendations to managers on pay equity, and frequent engagement with HR staff
- Support hiring managers in their recruitment efforts and manage the onboarding process for new Finance Center staff.
- Coordinate with senior Center staff on submission of high-impact proposals working closely with other Program staff and IOs across the WRI Matrix to ensure successful collaboration.
- Lead the Center’s regular team meetings and update memos as needed.
What you will need:
- Education: You have a completed a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Experience: You have 6+ years of full-time relevant work experience in development, financial management, and operations, preferably in a non-profit setting o You have experience with financial software such as TM1 and Cognos. o You have familiarity with database software and management (such as Salesforce, Asana, theory of change or other evaluation softwares).
- Languages: You have verbal and written proficiency in English
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by November 25. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.