Operations Manager, Center for Sustainable Business
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
20 days ago
This position is only being considered for the WRI US office (DC). Existing US work authorization is required at the time of application submission for the position. WRI is unable to sponsor work authorization for this position.
About the program:
The Center for Sustainable Business (CSB) mobilizes corporations and investors to transform business models so society can thrive within planetary boundaries. We envisage a world where companies’ practices, political engagement, and products are science-aligned and socially equitable. CSB experts join peers and partners to drive solutions that accelerate the private sector’s transition to inclusive, sustainable models that go from doing better to doing enough across all WRI’s programmatic areas.
Accelerating Sustainable Business Practices, Ambition and Action | World Resources Institute (wri.org)
In this role you will lead financial, operations, and administrative processes for all Center for Sustainable Business (CSB) projects within WRI. Your daily work will include updating budgets, reporting to donors, processing contract agreements, ensuring grant compliance, collaborating with research staff on projects, and guiding staff through internal processes and systems. You will be supported by core team members within CSB as well as various operations staff members across WRI. You will report to the Global Director for the Center for Sustainable Business.
What you will do:
Budgeting and Financial Management (30%):
- Oversee day-to-day project finances, keeping budgets up to date in WRI’s financial software.
- Deliver monthly updates on budgets to Project Directors and Managers to alert them of funding targets and other financial matters.
- Lead and provide input on behalf of the Center into institutional quarterly budget reviews.
- Develop and implement new systems and approaches to more efficiently manage the Center’s finances.
- Represent the Center in finance and operations-related meetings as needed.
- Prepare monthly budget summary reports for the Global Director.
Donor/Grants Management (20%)
- Collaborate with Project Managers to ensure compliance with terms and conditions of funding awards, communicating with donors as needed.
- Submission of financial grant reports, including collecting team inputs.
- Support donor and grants management by keeping CRM database updated with timely and accurate information.
Subgrants and Contracts (20%)
- Process and maintain subgrant and contract agreements with partners, including administering payments, and amending agreements as needed.
- Monitor sub-awardee compliance with administrative grant requirements, including the timely submission of reports and audits.
Operations and Administration (30%)
- Provide strategic operations advice to Center Global Director in resolving operational issues and mitigating against operational risks.
- Maintain the Center’s project dashboard, meeting monthly with the Global Director to review key performance indicators within the Center.
- Coordinate with project staff and HR on recruitment of new personnel and support onboarding of new staff and consultants.
- Provide support coordinating internal and external events, workshops, and conferences as needed.
- Support activities related to timesheet guidance, travel booking, and expense reporting.
- Review and make recommendations on internal systems to support and improve efficiencies.
What you will need:
- Education: You have a completed Bachelors degree.
- Experience: You have 6+ years of experience in program operations, grant compliance, fundraising, financial management, and project level budgeting.
- 2+ years of supervisory experience
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and can run multiple projects with varying deadlines.
- Compliance and process oriented, with sensitivity to being able to explain these issues to WRI project managers & directors, partners, and contractors.
- Prior engagement in International Development is a plus.
- Experience with financial softwares such as TM1 and Cognos and CRM software such as Salesforce desirable considered a plus.
- Languages: You have verbal and written proficiency in English.
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is needed for this position. WRI is unable to sponsor work authorization for this position.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of November 2, 2022
You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.