Operations and Finance Manager, Communications
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
26 days ago
About the Program:
WRI Communications and engagement team provides a critical function within WRI and is crucial for the institute’s success in achieving rapid, systemic changes for people, nature and climate. More than 150 communications and engagement experts work across WRI’s global network, in the programs and centers, offices and on the core team, with the aim to elevate WRI’s profile, expand its reach and deliver impact.
You will be responsible for managing operational and finance aspects of the 30-person Core Communications team, working with operations staff across the global network. You will be a detail-oriented, and self-motivated individual committed to the smooth operations and processes and to managing the budget of the team. You will also support general functioning of the team, including working closely with WRI’s Head of Communications.
You will work with other operations and finances staff in the institute. You will oversee the Core Communications Team project coordinator and will collaborate with colleagues on the core team, especially the team’s Project Manager.
You will report to the Head of Communications.
What you will do:
Manage Operations (60%):
- Lead Core Comms administration and operations: Manage workspace allocations and work agreements for staff and interns; manage timesheet guidance; approve timesheets, expense reports, and cash advance requests.
- Take the lead in identifying challenges and developing solutions to financial and operational challenges
- Provide operational advice and support to the Head of Communications, including problem solving and developing systems to improve team performance.
- Offer guidance to the Head of Communications and senior Communication Staff on team structure and processes, including consulting with the HR, IT, and Facilities departments.
- Troubleshoot operational issues for Core Communications and providing guidance to staff on institute-wide policies and systems
- Provide basic training for the Core Comms Project Coordinator on relevant WRI systems, including grants and contracts, budgeting (TM1/Cognos), Concur, and Asana
- Manage and mentor the Core Comms Project Coordinator to ensure they are effective in their role, and provide backstopping support when needed
- Process contracts and assist with systems procurement via Requests for Proposals
Financial Oversight: Budgeting, Managing and Mobilizing Resources (40%)
- Manage the Core Communications team’s budget; and help manage service demands from across the institute
- Oversee fiscal year budget planning for Core Comms, working with Operations Managers and Project Coordinators to identify service needs and funding sources.
- Lead the Core Communications Team’s quarterly budget and year-end review processes.
- Develop and maintain systems and approaches to more efficiently manage communications-related finances for the Core Communications Team.
- Represent Communications in all finance and operations-related meetings.
- Monitor and approve payment requests on behalf of Core Communications directors.
- Review all projects codes during monthly closing, ensuring correct allocation of expenses and assisting coordinators in doing the same.
- Collect, analyze and present benchmark data to ensure continued success of the Communications Integrated Funding Model
What you will need:
- Education: You will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Financial Management, Accounting and/or Project Management, or in related field
- Experience: You have 6+ years previous work experience in financial management and operations, preferably with experience in a non-profit setting
- Experience working for a large organization, preferably with an international scope.
- Familiarity with database software and management, including some or all of the following: Salesforce, Concur, Cognos, TM1, Asana.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of November 28, 2022. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.