Industrial Innovation Intern
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
18 days ago
About the Program:
Industrial sector greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions have steadily increased since the industrial revolution and nearly tripled over the last three decades. U.S. industries account for 30% of national GHG emissions, while the industrial sector globally accounts for 40% of all GHG emissions (both including industrial electricity use). Decarbonizing the industrial sector is critical for achieving net-zero emissions by 2050. Several key solutions can be applied across the sector to reduce industrial emissions: increasing energy efficiency, switching to clean energy sources, and installing technologies like carbon capture and storage. However, large-scale application of these solutions is costly and comes with some uncertainties that require safeguards. WRI's Industrial Innovation team researches the opportunities and challenges of industrial innovation and offers practical steps that U.S. policymakers and industrial leaders can take to accelerate action. https://www.wri.org/initiatives/industrial-innovation-decarbonization
This position is fully remote.
What you will do:
In this role, you will contribute to the research and analytical activities of the Industrial Innovation & Carbon Removal team within WRI U.S., in support of our efforts to lay the groundwork for advancing low-carbon, equitable, and resilient domestic climate policies. This will include research and analysis of industrial decarbonization technologies (particularly for steel), tracking policy and legislative developments for industrial decarbonization, and supporting the development of knowledge and communications products on these topics. You will report to an Associate on the Industrial Innovation & Carbon Removal team. You will work in close collaboration with project leads, technical partners, and other WRI programs.
Internship Learning Outcomes:
Research and analysis (60%)
- Conduct research on approaches and technologies needed to accelerate steel decarbonization and increase emissions reductions in the industrial sector, including identifying policy support needs and potential risks and benefits.
- Track and share relevant policy and technology developments and their potential climate impact and identify implications for the team’s work.
- Attend webinars, meetings, and virtual workshops/conferences on industrial decarbonization and summarize key takeaways.
- Analyze primary data from national emissions and other databases. Help develop of and co-author knowledge products, including articles and report.
Communication, engagement, and coordination (40%)
- Help develop and co-author articles and other externally facing communication materials to communicate complex content in an easily understandable way.
- Work with the industrial innovation team on engagement with partner institutions including academia, NGOs, government, and private sector on knowledge sharing and joint research products.
- Help prepare presentations and briefings for internal and external audiences.
- Support external engagements and opportunities at the national, regional, and global level.
- Help coordinate project implementation and provide inputs into funder reports.
What you will need:
- You have enrolled in or completed an engineering or science Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent four-year university degree.
- Knowledge of or experience in steel or industrial decarbonization technology and/or policy is a plus.
- English language skills.
The pay range for this internship opportunity is $20/ hour for undergrads; $22/ hour for graduates
Length of Contract:
This is a 3-month internship with a flexible start and end date.
- This is a remote-based internship with the option to work out of the Washington D.C. office once it reopens.
- WRI will provide a laptop for the duration of your internship.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with a cover letter. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Internships at WRI are learning experiences designed for current students, recent graduates, and other candidates who wish to gain knowledge about a specific area of our work. We strive to attract diverse, intellectually driven candidates who have a passion for sustainability and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all our programs.
WRI is committed to advancing gender, racial, and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.