Grants & Finance Specialist ll
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
25 days ago
This position is remote-eligible and only for consideration within the United States where WRI is state registered. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship for this position.
About the program:
Land & Carbon Lab (LCL) is WRI’s premier hub for geospatial data, analysis, and monitoring of the world’s land and its natural ecosystems. Our data and monitoring solutions, which include the Global Forest Watch (GFW) platform, exist to help accelerate implementation and financing of nature-based solutions worldwide. LCL has three main offers: (1) innovation in open geospatial data for land and carbon monitoring, (2) spatial intelligence to support NBS policy and target tracking, and (3) tailored tools that help businesses, governments, civil society organizations, and local communities make data-driven decisions. LCL collaborates across WRI and WRI’s network of external partners to transform big geospatial data into action and impact. https://www.landcarbonlab.org/
You will be responsible for overseeing budgets, grants and contracts for Land & Carbon Lab, as well as other special projects in the Forest Program. This will include developing budgets for new proposals, tracking and updating current project budgets and expenditures, preparing financial reports and invoices, preparation and submission of prime awards, sub-contracts, and subgrants, and other ad-hoc administrative and operational tasks as needed.
You will report directly to the Operation Manager for LCL and work closely with other members of the Land & Carbon Lab team as well as other members of the operation’s team within WRI’s Food, Forests, Water & Ocean Programs.
What you will do:
Contract and Subagreement Management (50%)
- Draft and execute contracts and subgrants with partners and contractors.
- Process invoices and payments for projects in compliance with WRI’s policies.
- Monitor partners to ensure the timely and accurate submission of progress and financial reports.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with the terms and conditions of all grants and contracts.
Financial Planning and Administration (40%)
- Help prepare the annual budget and work closely with project managers to create budgets for new proposals and grants
- Assist the Operation Manager in monitoring the program-wide budget throughout the year – monitoring all transactions and commitments
- Update and maintain other project budgets throughout the year as directed
- Review and track monthly expenses and staff labor hours, utilizing WRI’s budgeting and forecasting software
- Prepare detailed financial reports to funders as needed and ensure that progress reports are submitted in a timely manner.
Project Administration (10%)
- Support monitoring and tracking of project deliverables to ensure that they are submitted within the period of performance
- Advise team on budget management and address any financial issues in coordination with the Operations Manager.
- Track program funding opportunities and record information in on-line tracking systems.
What you will need:
Education: You have a completed a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, public administration, non-profit management, or similar.
Experience: You have 3+ years full-time relevant work experience in operations, grant administration, budgeting or financial management.
- You have experience in a previous role that required detail-orientation and working with deadlines, particularly with grant compliance and monitoring subgrantees and contractors.
- You have also worked in a role with minimal supervision and have experience with writing and communications with multiple stakeholders and cross-collaboration with teams.
- Proficiency working with Excel
- Familiarity with budgeting systems like TM1, Cognos, etc.
Languages: You have verbal and written proficiency in English.
Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of December 2, 2022. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.