Financial Planning and Analysis Manager
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
16 days ago
This position is remote-eligible and only for consideration within the United States where WRI is state registered or in WRI Hague office. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship for this position.
About the Program:
WRI’s Operations department is striving to increase operational and financial management capacity across all WRI offices in order to ensure stewardship of donor funds and low-risk operations. This will be done through establishing mutually agreed upon standards of performance, measuring the efficiency and effectiveness for the sisterhood of offices.
In this role you, will lead efforts to strengthen institutional financial management across WRI’s offices. You will contribute to decision support through financial analysis, and provide operational insight across Programs, Centers and International offices. You will head efforts on internal Quarterly Financial and Risk Reviews; support board reporting; work closely with other core functions to establish and maintain synergy cross functional projects. You will support growth at WRI by identifying current gaps and future strategic and operational needs and issues and work across the network to pilot and implement long term solutions. You will be supported by the Institutional Funds Manager and report to the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis.
What will you do:
Financial Planning, Analysis and Modelling – Decision Support (50%)
- Support the annual budgeting and planning process, review budgets and monitor progress and change throughout the year
- Lead coordination efforts with every office to identify and develop financial management capacity for both institutional finances and project financial management
- Support each office in their efforts to improve internal process, and build capacity to manage and implement grants of progressively larger sizes
- Lead the quarterly financial review process with programs, centers and international offices, analyzing budget performance and forecasting, provide insight on trends, highlighting achievement and risk and disseminating results and insights
- Support the FP&A Director to develop financial reports and presentations on WRI’s finances for WRI’s Global Board and associated committees on a quarterly basis
- Analyze and present financial information in an accurate and timely manner to senior management; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial analysis
- Help define and report on key organizational performance metrics; determine data clean-up or process enhancements necessary, including to quarterly review process, to improve the quality of the metrics for decision making and accomplishment of our organizational goals and strategic plan
- Facilitate quantitative decisions with clear, visual, easy to interpret analysis for resource allocation across the network
Operations Policies and Procedures (20%)
- Identify process gaps and operational issues by working closely with teams and core functions and find and implement solutions that incorporate WRI’s ongoing growth
- Coordinate efforts across all core functions to ensure streamlined development, consultation and coordinated roll out and enforcement of new operations initiatives
- Provide support in coordination with all WRI Global Operations teams, in the quality and timeliness of Program decisions on a range of issues (e.g. benchmarking performance, space required by location, optimal sub-grant ratios, project funding constraints, growth trajectories and short and long-term impact on our financial model, International office and WRI-wide overhead rates, capital spending, uses of unrestricted/resources, etc.).
- Supervise the Institutional Funds Manager in the management of institutional flexible and indirect fund allocations.
- Coordinate with the Operations Training Manager to modernize trainings available for operations staff in the institute
- Develop and implement finance related career development learning sessions for both Program and Operations staff; to facilitate WRI’s decentralized organizational structure while mitigating risks across the organization
- Assist in implementation of a comprehensive risk framework for WRI for both operational and programmatic risks.
- Work with team to establish an internal communications function within operations, streamlining roll out of initiatives and ensuring effective enforcement and follow up
- Through close coordination with Cost & Pricing and the development team, lead efforts to track and report revenue allocated to WRI’s work in different countries, including but not limited to countries wherein WRI has established presence
What will you need:
Education: You have a completed a bachelors degree.
- You have a minimum 7+ years full-time relevant work experience in financial and operations management. Mention prior experience in technical areas or in previous industries/sectors.
- Languages: Verbal and written English proficiency required. Spanish, Portuguese, French, Hindi, or Bahasa proficiency would be a plus.
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and a cover letter by 10 February 2023. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our Human Resources team reviews all applications.