Finance Specialist: Cost & Pricing
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
5 days ago
Reporting to the Cost and Pricing Manager, the Finance Specialist will work as part of a team responsible for ensuring high quality proposal budget creation and donor financial reporting.
This position will begin as remote due to Covid-19 but will be a hybrid model of remote and in-office.
This includes developing and maintaining WRI’s budget checklists, donor financial reporting, work closely with other core functions (in particular Development) to establish and maintain a robust revenue pipeline across the institute, and drive efforts to increase cost efficiency throughout WRI. You will be part of the central finance team and work with other WRI offices on organization-wide improvement initiatives.
Proposal Budgets (20%)
Support the organization-wide effort to improve and standardize proposal budgeting via individual or group trainings, guidance and advice.
- Support the creation and maintenance of WRI’s proposal budget checklists.
- Liaise and support the WRI Development Team in rolling out tools and resources that falls within the proposal spectrum. Close coordination with Development will be critical to ensure successful roll out of new initiatives and maintenance of existing initiatives
- Support as a member of a budget review team, for proposals over one-million USD, centrally managed donors, and contract bids.
Funder Coordination and Due Diligence (25%)
Support in maintaining a record of WRI’s experience with funders, also known as Funder Operating Briefs.
- Support the coordination and review of funder due diligence information requests to ensure WRI’s systems and processes are accurately communicated to funders.
- Support quality control, and data input where necessary, to ensure that WRI maintains multi year accurate revenue information in the system of record.
- Work with FP&A team and others to build reports and dashboards to track revenue accurately across current and future fiscal years.
Financial Reporting (30%)
Support the implementation of a governance structure for financial reporting, including minimum standards of expectations and a compliance checklist.
- Lead in the creation of financial reports in WRI’s internal “foundation template” for review and signature.
- Provide review and quality assurance on financial reports processed and submitted to funders from WRI in funder budget templates.
- Support WRIs network of international offices in improving their standards of financial reporting.
- Deliver trainings to and consult with project teams on building non-standard budgets and reports.
Special Projects and Other Areas of Work (25%)
Support or Lead in representing the C&P team in special projects as appropriate. Examples of potential special projects include one-off analysis requested by the executive office supported by the FP&A team, supporting the development of C&P functions in the international offices, improving existing processes and templates, supporting WRI’s annual project-audit process, and improving payment tracking.
- Support training sessions at WRI Global or international offices on a variety of topics related to cost and pricing.
- Support quality control, and data input to ensure that WRI maintains multi-year accurate revenue information in the system of record.
- Support other CRM data quality initiatives as relevant.
Education: You hold a completed Bachelor's degree in a related field.
Experience: You have 3-5 years of experience in proposal budgeting or financial reporting in the nonprofit sector preferred. Familiarity with database software and management (such as Salesforce, Concur, IBM Cognos tools, etc.) is an asset.
Requirements: Existing work authorization is required for this position. WRI is unable to sponsor visa work authorization.
Potential Salary: $53,000 - $68,000 Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
Please submit a resume with cover letter. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.