Finance Communications Manager, Science Based Targets initiative
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
30+ days ago
As the Finance Communications Manager for SBTi, and hosted by WRI, you will join a team of highly motivated individuals working with companies to set science-based targets on greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. In this role, you will lead, develop and implement integrated multi-channel communications plans and support corporate partners to advance SBTi’s strategic business and communications goals. You will be part of the SBTi Communications team that includes staff members hosted by several SBTi partner organizations. This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you can be based at WRI’s office in Washington, DC once restrictions have lifted. Full-time remote working from a location in the U.S. is also a possibility. The Finance Communications Manager reports to the SBTi Senior Communications Manager and will also have a WRI manager for personnel matters.
This position can be remote or be based at WRI’s office in Washington, DC once restrictions have been lifted.
Research and knowledge (25% of time required)
- Thoroughly understand and continually build knowledge about SBTi FI work and the broader FI emissions reductions ecosystem
- Attend all FI meetings to represent the communications team
- Manage all SBTi FI communications work in close collaboration with the Senior Communications
Manager Strategy (25% of time required)
- Develop and deliver the SBTi FI communications strategy in close collaboration with the communications team
- Manage regular reporting and assessment to ensure the strategy is on track and aligned with the needs of the initiative
Communications delivery (40% of time required)
- Manage and deliver communications deliverables, including reports, press releases, blogs, social media content, videos, etc.
- Manage inbound media requests for the SBTi FI team
- Proactively secure media opportunities for the SBTi FI team
Admin 10% of time required)
- Carry our regular and day-to-day admin to ensure effective delivery
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant communications and / or media experience
- Strong experience of developing multi-channel communications plans in the finance sector (preferably focused on sustainability)
- Strong PR experience and demonstrable knowledge of international business, finance trade and environment media
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to develop and nurture relationships both internally and externally, including complex multi-stakeholder relationships
- Demonstrable experience of successful communications projects in the finance sector which have delivered against project objectives
- Strong analytical mind with the ability to process complex information and turn it into compelling stories and content
- Strong copy-writing and editing skills and excellent attention to detail
- Extensive experience in promoting content on a wide range of digital and traditional platforms
- An understanding of and desire to work proactively to promote corporate sustainability in the finance space
- Excellent team skills and the flexibility to work across the business and with global offices
- Excellent time management skills and an ability to meet deadlines under pressure and manage multiple project and stakeholder demands simultaneously
- US work authorization is required for this position
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
$59,000 - $77,00. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply:
Submit a resume/CV and a cover letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities.
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a global body enabling businesses to set ambitious emissions reductions targets in line with the latest climate science. It is focused on accelerating companies across the world to halve emissions before 2030 and achieve net-zero emissions before 2050. Science-based targets show companies how much and how quickly they need to reduce their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to prevent the worst effects of climate change. The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi): · Defines and promotes best practice in emissions reductions and net-zero targets in line with climate science. · Provides technical assistance and expert resources to companies who set science-based targets in line with the latest climate science. · Brings together a team of experts to provide companies with independent assessment and validation of targets. · The SBTi is the lead partner of the Business Ambition for 1.5°C campaign - an urgent call to action from a global coalition of UN agencies, business and industry leaders, mobilizing companies to set net-zero science-based targets in line with a 1.5°C future. The change has already begun and action is gaining pace. Nearly one thousand companies worldwide are leading the transition to a net-zero economy by setting emissions reduction targets grounded in climate science through the SBTi. The initiative is a collaboration between CDP, the United Nations Global Compact, World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and one of the We Mean Business Coalition commitments. The SBTi defines and promotes best practice in science-based target setting, offers resources and guidance to reduce barriers to adoption, and independently assesses and approves companies’ targets. www.sciencebasedtargets.org @sciencetargets
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and our operating budget is nearing $200 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of over 1,600 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.