Federal & State Policy Fellow, Electric School Bus Initiative - Heinz College's Public Policy & M...
World Resources Institute
Washington, DC, United States
30+ days ago
Applicants must be a current student enrolled in Heinz College’s Public Policy & Management Washington D.C. pathway.
The Electric School Bus Initiative Federal & State Policy intern will provide support to our efforts to rapidly accelerate government support for electrifying the nation's school bus fleet.
Internship Learning Outcomes:
You will gain experience in the following areas:
- Research legislative and funding proposals at both the state and federal level
- Track the implementation process for the newly funded Clean School Bus Program at EPA and collaborating agencies
- Compile and analyze best practices from programs around the country to inform policy proposals and reports
- Assist the policy team's efforts to identify and communicate with relevant stakeholders
- You must be a current student enrolled in Heinz College’s Public Policy & Management Washington D.C. pathway.
- Strong research skills and/or previous experience researching legislation and policy proposals (state and/or federal level)
- Previous experience implementing programs at state or federal agencies or tracking program implementation
- Experienced writer able to pivot from legislative drafting to blog posts and internal presentations
- Ability to work remotely and collaborate within a fast-moving team
The pay range for this internship opportunity is between $15-18/hour, commensurate with qualifications.
Duration and Location
- This is a 30 hours per week/ part-time, 9-months internship with flexible start and end dates based on the student’s availability and need for the project.
- Term: DC Fellows (September – early May)
- Work Days: Monday-Thursday, approximately 30-32 hours per week. Students will have required classes two evenings a week and on Fridays.
- This is a remote-based internship with the option to work out of the Washington D.C. office once it reopens.
- WRI will provide a laptop for the duration of your internship.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
Program Overview (for Internship):
The 480,000 school buses in the United States account for 80% of all buses nationwide, yet less than 1% are electrified. School bus electrification represents a unique opportunity to accelerate decarbonization while bringing direct, tangible benefits to every community in the United States. This transition can help make electric mobility the new normal for an entire generation. Through the U.S. Electric School Bus Initiative, funded by the Bezos Earth Fund, WRI’s aim is to create unstoppable momentum over the next five years on a path toward electrifying the entire fleet of U.S. school buses by 2030. Overcoming the cost, infrastructure and policy barriers to mass adoption will require a systemic approach that engages an entire ecosystem of actors and prioritizes inclusive planning with impacted communities.
WRI will achieve this by partnering with key stakeholders and project partners to work on five key pillars:
1) aggregate demand
2) scale manufacturing
3) develop innovative financing models
4) influence federal and state policy
5) galvanize communities and stakeholders to push for an equitable and comprehensive shift towards electric school buses
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
Internships at WRI are learning experiences designed for current students, recent graduates, and other candidates who wish to gain knowledge about a specific area of our work. We strive to attract diverse, intellectually driven candidates who have a passion for sustainability and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all our programs.
WRI is committed to advancing gender, racial, and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.