Special Assistant/Events Officer to Vice President/Europe Regional Director
World Resources Institute
The Hague, Netherlands
19 days ago
This position is only for consideration at the WRI Hague office.
About the Program:
Europe is a leader on many of the sustainability issues on which we urgently need to accelerate progress. European countries and the private sector are key parts of the global delivery platform. They deliver ideas, platforms for delivery and generous support. In past and present, we have seen Europe lead multilateral ‘coalitions of the willing’ – whether in NDCP, Champions 12.3, Sustainable Ocean Initiative, the Global Commission on Adaptation or the global restoration movement which started in Bonn. It is effective stewardship of such relations that has helped WRI to create impact at scale. Throughout the years, European partners have been crucial in supporting WRI’s programmatic ambition. Leveraging Europe’s collective weight on raising global ambition will be crucial in the next few years, as windows of opportunity to address global challenges like climate change are closing.
Based in The Hague, you will provide administrative support to the Vice President (VP)/Europe Regional Director. You will serve as a point of contact for internal and external stakeholders on matters pertaining to WRI Europe and will be a liaison to Country office Directors, Project Area leaders, and high-level external contacts such as donors and partners. You will work closely with the VP/Europe Regional Director, and Senior Management by anticipating needs, proactively resolving issues, assisting in the management of deliverable deadlines, and ensuring timely preparation for upcoming events and commitments. Thinking strategically and working independently, you will address a broad spectrum of needs included in the portfolio of the Regional Director. Administrative responsibilities include an emphasis on external meeting preparations, supporting the preparation and monitoring of strategic plans, as well as supporting delivery of special projects across the WRI Europe network. Engagement and Event management responsibilities will include organizing internal and external events and assisting with stewardship efforts and strengthening relationships with our partners.
What you will do:
- Ensure smooth execution (working closely with team members) of the VP/Europe Regional Director external events and speaking engagements through planning, logistics, outreach and preparation of background material not limited to talking points, presentations and more
- Support delivery of special projects across the WRI Europe network, including advancing and realizing institutional decisions taken at each Annual Planning Week, often working in tandem with various parts of the matrix
- Support coordination and execution of the preparation and reporting on WRI’s strategic plan alongside the Executive Office and Managing for Results teams, including developing a strong staff engagement process, preparation of key outputs for the strategic plan, coordinating across the WRI network for inputs, etc
- Develop and maintain a broad, substantive knowledge of issues related to the entire WRI portfolio and its strategic goals
- Assisting in the preparation, checking, and editing of correspondence and documents as required
- Support ongoing efforts to improve WRI Europe’s administrative systems and processes
- Other tasks as required.
- Represent the Regional Director in dealings with external visitors to the office
- Organize staff social gatherings and key events/activities for the WRI Hague/Europe team
- Work closely with the Regional Director to help support visits to the Hague by WRI leadership and other key WRI personnel such as Board members and Patron
- Assist engagement with knowledge institutes as requested by the Regional Director
- Support the preparation of PowerPoint presentations, and blog drafts for the WRI Europe office.
What you will need:
- Education: Bachelor's degree (or two additional years of work experience)
- Experience: 6+ years of relevant working experience, 3 of which as a personal assistant, special assistant, or executive assistant
- Demonstrated experience organising events
- Previous experience working with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Experience working in an international environment
- Experience encouraging collaboration and communicating with colleagues across a variety of areas in an organization
- Experience of managing multiple priorities
- Languages: Verbal and written proficiency in English
€ 57,000 - € 68,000 Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a CV with a cover letter by 9 August 2022. You must submit an application via the WRI careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions. The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.