Technical Manager, Research
World Resources Institute
This position can be based out of one of the WRI offices in the US, Hague, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, UK, Kenya, or Indonesia. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission for the country office designated. WRI is not able to sponsor work authorization for this position.
About the Program:
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a global body enabling businesses to set ambitious emissions reductions targets in line with the latest climate science. It is focused on accelerating companies across the world to halve emissions before 2030 and achieve net-zero emissions before 2050.
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi):
- Defines and promotes best practice in emissions reductions and net-zero targets in line with climate science.
- Provides technical assistance and expert resources to companies who set science-based targets in line with the latest climate science.
- Brings together a team of experts to provide companies with independent assessment and validation of targets.
- The SBTi is the lead partner of the Business Ambition for 1.5°C campaign - an urgent call to action from a global coalition of UN agencies, business and industry leaders, mobilizing companies to set net-zero science-based targets in line with a 1.5°C future.
Through a combination of in-house expertise and collaboration with peers, the SBTi Research Team develops transparent cross-sector technical outputs that contribute to the integrity of SBTs and maximize climate action. These include research outputs such as articles and reports, normative policies at the standard level (ratified by the SBTi Technical Council), and informative guidance for SBTi users.
Key topics include defining eligible 1.5°C-aligned pathways and SBT-setting methods. Additional topics may include the use of market-based instruments, bioenergy, target boundaries, and more. The Research Team has a variety of options for peer collaboration, which include ongoing technical partnerships, maintaining a network of expert advisors, and convening research forums.
In this role, you will be an instrumental part of the new Research Team within the initiative. You will use your greenhouse gas accounting expertise to lead projects to continuously improve the scientific integrity and impact of the SBTi’s framework. You will be a project manager and lead research projects, manage stakeholder processes, and author publications related to science-based and net-zero target setting around incorporating value chain emissions (scope 3).
You will be supported by the Research Team, including a Technical Officer, and the broader SBTi Technical Team.
You will report to the Head of Research.
This position is fully remote from a WRI office country location in US (only for US where WRI is state registered), Hague, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, UK, Kenya, or Indonesia.
What you will do:
Research & Knowledge (80% time)
- Provide an expert perspective on corporate GHG accounting in cross-team projects
- Conduct research to identify GHG accounting-related topics for updates or new guidance. Topics may include the use of market-based instruments, bioenergy, target boundaries, etc.
- Contribute to the development of the Technical team’s annual work plans and research agenda
- Develop proposals and lead technical projects, delivering outputs on time and to an esteemed level of quality and in line with SBTi protocols;
Administrative (20% time)
- Manage relationships with external stakeholders, in particular collaboration with the GHG Protocol
What you will need:
- Education: You have a Master's Degree in Environmental Sciences, Environmental or Energy Economics, Environmental Policy, Engineering, or related area.
- Experience: Minimum 7 to 14 years of full-time work experience with corporate greenhouse gas management, greenhouse gas accounting, or corporate sustainability and supply chain management. You have previous experience with and knowledge of corporate greenhouse gas accounting, in particular the Greenhouse Gas Protocol standards, as well as in-depth understanding of climate targets, and knowledge of climate change-related programs such as CDP and the Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero. You also have demonstrated up-to-date knowledge and limitations of current GHG accounting approaches.
- Excellent analytical and research skills with an understanding of how different research methods can be applied practically to complex projects in corporate GHG accounting or related areas
- Proven experience applying interpersonal skills across disciplinary lines and supervising a research group or small team
- Experience taking initiative as an author of major reports
- Experience organizing research forums, symposia, or other collaborative events with attention to detail and organizational requirements
- Knowledge of sustainability claims, life cycle assessment, chain of custody models, and environmental impact accounting (consequential vs. attributional)
- Languages: Verbal and written proficiency in English
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to provide visa work authorization for this role.
$96,000-$130,000 Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of 5 August 2022. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.