Senior Analyst, Integrated Climate Action
World Resources Institute
5 days ago
This position can be based in the WRI Brazil, WRI Colombia, WRI Mexico, or WRI India office. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission for the position. WRI is unable to sponsor work authorization for any of the listed office locations.
About the Program:
The Urban Efficiency and Climate Team (UEC) at the WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities works to empower cities to take integrated climate action. We work to ensure that all projects supported by the WRI Ross Center contribute to climate action that delivers integrated benefits for people, nature, and climate. Our goal is that the WRI is recognized as a global leader in measuring and tracking integrated climate results, ensuring greater stakeholder buy-in and improved access to climate finance.
We are looking for a Senior Analyst to support the implementation of its Integrated Climate Action Initiative. The initiative will accelerate climate action in cities through integrated planning and implementation and by fostering multi-level dialogue and coalition building.
You will support project management and technical activities to help the development of knowledge products on the design, implementation and monitoring of integrated projects that accelerate the transition to more inclusive, resilient, zero carbon and nature-focused cities. You will engage with WRI teams and city staff in capacity building, knowledge exchange and coalition-building activities with strategic external stakeholders
You will be supported by a 4 – 6 people multidisciplinary team at UEC and you will work in collaboration with teams across all WRI Programs.
You will report to the Senior Manager for Integrated Climate Action.
What you will do:
Research and technical support (30%)
- Map and compile case studies on integrated climate action to support knowledge products and an internal learning platform
- Help desk training materials on planning, implementation, and evaluation of integrated climate action
- Organize webinars and trainings on integrated planning and implementation of climate actions for city and WRI teams and external stakeholders
- Identify priority issues for multi-level (local, regional, and national) policy dialogues to unlock regional- and national level promoting conditions for inclusive, resilient, zero carbon, and nature-focused cities
- Support the development of city-specific technical assistance on multi-level governance for integrated climate action.
Program management (40%)
- Liaise with the city and WRI international office teams to identify needs and opportunities for pilot projects on integrated climate action planning and delivery. Potential pilot projects countries include Brazil, India, and Mexico
- Supervise the work of consultants and subcontractors on pilot cities
- Provide administrative and communications support for the organization of multi-level dialogues for integrated climate action in two selected countries
- Facilitate activities of an integrated climate action peer-to-peer platform with WRI international office teams;
Team coordination (20%)
- Update the Integrated Climate Action team on work conducted with pilot cities
- Keep track and organization of project documents
- Maintain and update project management platforms (we use Asana and Slack)
- Compile and share lessons learned on the project with WRI teams
- Act as a focal point to WRI teams for tailored support on integrated climate action planning and implementation.
Strategy Development Support (10%)
- Identify and engage strategic internal and external partners to participate in peer-to peer exchange
- Prepare fundraising materials including proposals, concept notes, and slide decks.
What you will need:
- Education: You have completed a Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, environmental studies, climate studies, public policy, public administration, or other related fields. An advanced degree is desirable .
- Experience: You have 4+ years of relevant work experience with governments, NGOs, or research institutions with a strong focus on cities and climate and substantive knowledge of policy design and implementation
- You have experience living and/or working in developing country contexts and across different cultures, languages, and time zones
- You have experience working with national and subnational governments, convening and engaging stakeholders, building partnerships and relationships with government agencies, Civil Society Organisations, academia, and the private sector
- You have coordinated projects across organizational boundaries and different areas of expertise
- You have experience in presenting complex ideas/concepts to engage different stakeholders to achieve common goals
- You have experience writing and communicating policy recommendations (with a focus on climate and/or cities) to different audiences (governments, the private sector, academia, and international organizations)
- Experience in fundraising is desirable
- Languages: You are proficient in English. Proficiency in Portuguese or Spanish is desirable.
- Requirements: Existing work authorization at the candidates selected location is required. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
Location: This position can be located in either Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, or India.
Start date: Upon mutual agreement with the candidate. Expected: January, 2023.
Type of Contract: Fixed term
Potential Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive renumeration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of 07 October 2022. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.