Research Manager, Integrated Climate Action
World Resources Institute
3 days ago
This position can be based in the WRI US office (DC), WRI Hague Office WRI UK office, WRI Brazil, WRI Colombia, WRI Mexico, WRI India, WRI Kenya or WRI Ethiopia office. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission for the position. WRI is unable to sponsor work authorization for any of the listed office locations.
About the Program:
The Urban Efficiency and Climate Team (UEC) at the WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities works to empower cities to take integrated climate action. We work to ensure that all projects supported by the WRI Ross Center contribute to climate action that delivers integrated benefits for people, nature, and climate. Our goal is that the WRI is recognized as a global leader in measuring and tracking integrated climate results, ensuring greater stakeholder buy-in and improved access to climate finance.
We are looking for a Research Manager to support the implementation of its Integrated Climate Action Initiative. The initiative will accelerate climate action in cities through integrated planning and implementation and by fostering multi-level dialogue and coalition building.
In this role, you will lead the development of knowledge products (case studies, research reports, policy recommendations) on climate action mainstreaming in cities, multi-level governance for integrated climate action, equity, and climate finance.
You will be supported by a 4 – 6 people multidisciplinary team at UEC and you will work in collaboration with teams across all WRI Programs.
You will report to the Senior Manager for Integrated Climate Action.
What you will do:
Technical and research activities (60%)
- Conduct research on the barriers and enabling conditions for integrated climate action in selected cities
- Conduct research on policy instruments to integrate climate action in strategic city processes (i.e strategic planning, land use, management and budgeting)
- Develop a research strategy on multi-level governance for integrated climate action
- Provide technical assistance as required for policy design and implementation planning of priority actions, integrated delivery climate roadmaps and/or innovative financing instruments
- Supervise the work of consultants and subcontractors as appropriate to ensure high-quality deliverables
- Develop and coordinate WRI Ross Center Learning Strategy on Integrated Climate Action
- Map critical non-government stakeholders for multi-level climate action in priority countries (list to be confirmed: Brazil, Colombia, India, Mexico);
- Develop policy recommendations and main messages for advocacy on multi-level climate action in different sectors (e.g. energy, transports, waste, water and urban planning) at national and global level;
- Develop case studies to support and inform policy dialogues with non-governmental stakeholders on climate finance, equity and managing political change for climate action.
What you will need:
- Education: You have completed a Master’s Degree in environmental studies, climate studies, public policy, economics, development finance, or other related fields.
- Experience: You have 6+ years of progressive experience working with climate research at NGOs, research and academic institutions or international organizations OR a combination of PhD and 3 years of working experience
- Knowledge and experience working on projects related to climate mitigation and adaptation in urban contexts
- Experience working in developing country contexts and across different cultures, languages, and time zones
- Experience in coordinating multidisciplinary research projects with multiple stakeholders and partners in global organizations
- Experience in developing qualitative and quantitative research on climate, urban planning, public policy or related fields
- Experience producing and writing case studies, research reports, policy recommendations on climate, urban planning, public policy or related fields
- Languages: You are proficient in spoken and written English. Proficiency in another language is desirable
- Requirements: Existing work authorization at the candidates selected location is required. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization
Location: This position can be located in either Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, India, Kenya, Ethiopia, Europe or the US.
Start date: Upon mutual agreement with the candidate. Expected: January, 2023.
Potential Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with a cover letter by the date of 07 October 2022. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, and Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.