Insurance Project Specialist, Science Based Targets Initiative
World Resources Institute
25 days ago
This position can be based in any of the following WRI offices: US-DC or where state registered, UK, Hague, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Nairobi, or Addis Ababa. The applicant will be expected to hold existing work authorization for their preferred location at the time application is submitted.
About the Program:
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a global body enabling businesses to set ambitious emissions reductions targets in line with the latest climate science. It is focused on accelerating companies across the world to halve emissions before 2030 and achieve net-zero emissions before 2050.
Science Based Targets is a joint initiative by CDP, the UN Global Compact, the World Resources Institute (WRI) and WWF, in collaboration with the We Mean Business Coalition, intended to increase ambition on corporate climate action by driving the adoption of greenhouse gas emission reduction targets in line with what the latest climate science says is necessary to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement. For more information please visit www.sciencebasedtargets.org
In November 2021, the SBTi launched a Financial Net-Zero Standard development process to complement and extend beyond the SBTi financial sector framework. In July 2022, a collaboration between the UNEP FI’s Net-Zero Insurance Alliance (NZIA) and SBTi Finance was launched to develop insurance underwriting specific guidance.
NZIA members have committed to transition their insurance and reinsurance underwriting portfolios to net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, consistent with a maximum temperature rise of 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels by 2100, in order to contribute to the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement. They will individually set science-based targets every five years. This role will be seated in the SBTi-FI team and work directly with the NZIA on developing insurance underwriting targets.
You will assist in the development and integration of insurance underwriting into the SBTi Finance guidance and standards. The output of this work will be integrated into both the near-term target framework and the Net-Zero Standard for Financial Institutions (FINZ). You will be supported by the highly motivated Financial Institutions team at SBTi. You will report to the SBTi Finance Insurance Underwriting Project Manager.
What you will do:
Outreach, Engagement, and Partnership Management (30% time)
- Work in conjunction with SBTi partners to assist the Net-Zero target-setting method development process
- Use and maintenance of SBTi project management and collaboration tools (e.g., Asana, Slack, Google Drive, etc.)
- Support in coordination of the collaboration with the Net-Zero Insurance Alliance, public consultation and road-testing process with the Net-Zero Manager
- Support in managing responses to the insurance-specific inquiries
Methods Development (70% time)
- Support development of resources, specifically related to insurance underwriting, in the FI Guidance & Net-Zero Standard development process
- Produce high-quality documentation based on internal product and scoping requirements on Insurance Underwriting for the SBTi Standard for Financial Institutions
- Contribute to the updating of the SBTi financial sector criteria and framework
What you will need:
Education: You have completed a Bachelor’s in risk management, insurance, finance, business, economics, environment, sustainable development, administration, international relations, social sciences, law or related fields.
- Experience: You have 3+ years full-time relevant work experience in the insurance industry, ideally with climate and/or regulatory expertise.
- Experience in the insurance and reinsurance underwriting process (at least one year of experience)
- Experience in developing and promoting sustainable insurance strategies, approaches, products and solutions (encompassing insurance ESG risk management, net-zero insurance, insurance for low/zero-emission technologies, climate and disaster risk insurance, inclusive insurance and/or nature-positive insurance)
- Ideally spanning both non-life and life/health lines of business
- Prior experience at the international level in program management and stakeholder engagement is required.
- Prior experience in responsible investment is advantageous.
- Languages: You have verbal and written English proficiency.
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
The salary range for this position is $69,000 – $78,000 if filled by a candidate located and legally able to work in the US. If you are selected and live in a different country in which we have an office, we will use our local salary scale (not a currency conversion) to determine the starting salary. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of 10 February 2023. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organisation with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organisation that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organisational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognising our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.