Global Climate Director
World Resources Institute
30+ days ago
Your status as a well-connected, prominent climate policy expert with extensive experience working with national governments and a proven track record of developing and executing sophisticated strategies to achieve major climate outcomes at scale will be leveraged. You will have an in-depth understanding of climate science, economics and policy and be recognized by prominent national and international journalists as an expert in the climate field. You will be able to use your analytical capabilities to advance broader outreach and influence strategies. You will be adept at managing multiple opportunities with the ability to negotiate and develop complex global strategic partnerships to advance climate action. Using your strong collaboration and experience working in a matrix organization, you will ensure the Climate Program integrates its strategy across WRI's programs. Reporting to the Executive Vice President and Managing Director of Programs, you will be responsible for the design and execution of our global strategy on climate change. You will manage a diverse, international team of staff and will work closely with WRI offices in Africa, China, Europe, India, Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia, and the United States to advance national and international climate action.
Strategic leadership and vision:
- Provide vision and leadership to enhance WRI's position as a leader in driving positive action toward achieving a zero-carbon future at the national and international levels
- Ensure the strategy for the Climate Program delivers significant outcomes, is based on rigorous research and analysis and is relevant globally as well as in the countries and regions in which WRI works
- Forge and manage complex global and national partnerships with a range of stakeholders (business, NGOs, labor, security, government, local government, etc.) to achieve major climate outcomes
- Develop a high-quality research strategy in support of the overarching climate strategy
- Sharpen the Climate Program's value proposition within WRI's priority geographies and regarding equity
- Serve as an influential voice on climate change, promoting WRI's research, tools, and solutions to senior executives, practitioners, policymakers, journalists, and constituents
- Ensure effective coordination across the WRI teams and WRI offices on climate-related issues and projects and foster shared learning and innovation
People and program management:
- Ensure the Climate Program is achieving outcomes and a positive change in the world by setting clear goals, developing robust research and influence strategies, and building a coherent and highly motivated team to achieve results
- Supervise and support program staff to ensure they feel inspired, challenged, and appreciated. Inspire, motivate, and problem-solve to ensure effective program management
- Ensure knowledge products produced by Climate Program staff meet WRI standards of excellence for research
- Oversee robust financial management of the Climate Program and ensure that project finances are managed and within budget according to donor procedures
- Coordinate with external relations to develop effective communication strategies for the Climate Program.
- Leverage substantial fundraising experience and existing relationships with funders to increase funding and secure major grants for the program from a variety of donor sources
- Develop a sustainable funding model for the Climate Program
- In collaboration with the Climate Program staff, identify, and raise funds at the seven-figure level annually
- Collaborate with WRI's Development Department staff (donor relations managers for foundations, corporations, and government donors) who will help facilitate, coordinate, and track engagement and optimize donor relationships
- Oversee and maintain program-wide donor stewardship
- Masters’ Degree in related field
- Minimum of 20 years of relevant work experience and 10 years of prior program experience in a similar role
- Passion for working on climate issues
- Recognition as a thought-leader in the field with a proven track record of advancing big ideas that have accelerated the pace and change of climate action at the national and international level
- Proven analytical and communication skills
- Existing network of contacts in government, business, research institutes, NGOs and media related to climate
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collegially with others with the highest standards of integrity
- Demonstrated extraordinary research and analytical skills, with a record of high-quality publications
- Experience managing, fundraising for, and overseeing a budget of a minimum of $10M.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with a cover letter. A resume and cover letter must be submitted in English to be considered. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
This position represents a unique opportunity to make a real difference in addressing climate change globally. Humanity stands at a critical point. Never have we been so successful, yet never has this success been so threatened by our own actions. The time for action is now! You will join the leadership team of WRI, a highly influential global research organization to build up on and significantly enhance, the impact and profile of the Institute by bringing a combination of deep climate policy experience, strategic vision, partnership development, people management, fundraising, media relations, and a firm commitment to WRI’s values.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and our operating budget is nearing $200 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of over 1,600 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.