Finance Manager - Insurance Underwriting, Science Based Target Initiative
World Resources Institute
25 days ago
This position can be based in any of the following WRI offices: US-DC or where state registered, UK, Hague, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Nairobi, or Addis Ababa. The applicant will be expected to hold existing work authorization for their preferred location at the time application is submitted.
About the Program:
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a global body enabling businesses to set ambitious emissions reductions targets in line with the latest climate science. It is focused on accelerating companies across the world to halve emissions before 2030 and achieve net-zero emissions before 2050.
Science Based Targets is a joint initiative by CDP, the UN Global Compact, the World Resources Institute (WRI) and WWF, in collaboration with the We Mean Business Coalition, intended to increase ambition on corporate climate action by driving the adoption of greenhouse gas emission reduction targets in line with what the latest climate science says is necessary to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement. For more information please visit www.sciencebasedtargets.org
In November 2021, the SBTi launched a Financial Net-Zero Standard development process to complement and extend beyond the SBTi financial sector framework. In July 2022, a collaboration between the UNEP FI’s Net-Zero Insurance Alliance (NZIA) and SBTi Finance was launched to develop insurance underwriting specific guidance.
NZIA members have committed to transition their insurance and reinsurance underwriting portfolios to net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, consistent with a maximum temperature rise of 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels by 2100, in order to contribute to the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement. They will individually set science-based intermediate targets every five years and independently report on their progress publicly and annually. This role will be seated in the SBTi-FI team and working directly with the NZIA on developing insurance underwriting targets.
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is looking for an outstanding individual to join the Financial Institutions team to help develop taget-setting methods, guidance, and criteria for (re-) insurers to set science-based targets on their insurance underwriting portfolios. The SBTi is seeking a dedicated, mission-driven individual to join the highly motivated Financial Institutions team at the SBTi. You thrive in an international environment where you can combine your technical expertise with project and stakeholder management skills.
You will lead the development and integration of insurance underwriting into the SBTi Finance guidance and standards. The output of this work will be implemented in both the SBTi near-term target framework and the Net-Zero Standard for Financial Institutions (FINZ). You will be supported by the highly motivated Financial Institutions team at the SBTi. You will report to the SBTi Finance team lead.
What you will do:
Methods Development (60% time)
- Lead the development of insurance underwriting target setting methods and guidance
- Contribute to the updating of the SBTi financial sector criteria and framework
- Contribute to the integration of insurance underwriting target setting methodologies into the Net-Zero Standard
- Develop resources to improve understanding of the Net-Zero Standard internally and externally
Engagement and Outreach (40% time)
- Support in managing responses to the insurance-specific inquiries
- Work in conjunction with SBTi partners to assist the Net-Zero target-setting method development process
- Support financial institution engagement, outreach, query management
What you will need:
- Education: You have a completed Master’s degree in risk management, insurance, finance, business, economics, environment, or related fields.
- Experience: You have 7+ years of experience in the insurance industry and/or relevant organizations.
- Knowledge and expertise in the insurance and reinsurance underwriting process (3 suggested years of experience)
- Experience in developing and promoting sustainable insurance strategies, approaches, products and solutions (encompassing insurance ESG risk management, net-zero insurance, insurance for low/zero-emission technologies, climate and disaster risk insurance, inclusive insurance and/or nature-positive insurance)
- Ideal experience spanning both non-life and life/health lines of business
- Prior experience at the international level in program management and stakeholder engagement is required.
- Prior experience in responsible investment is advantageous.
- Languages: You have verbal and written English proficiency.
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
The salary range for this position is $96,000 – $116,000 if filled by a candidate located and legally able to work in the US. If you are selected and live in a different country in which we have an office, we will use our local salary scale (not a currency conversion) to determine the starting salary. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by 3 February 2023. You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organisation with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organisation that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organisational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognising our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.