Finance and Operations Specialist, Nature Crime Alliance
World Resources Institute
30+ days ago
This position can be based in the WRI US DC Global office or WRI UK office. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission for the country office designated. WRI is unable to sponsor work authorization for either of the UK or US locations.
About the Program:
The Nature Crime Alliance aims to halt criminal activities that exploit and degrade natural resources and ecosystems worldwide. We are turning existing potential to combat nature crime into results at scale, raising the issue’s political profile and promoting greater cooperation across jurisdictional and professional siloes to build capacity at all levels. This work will contribute to the conservation and restoration of natural ecosystems, which are vital to the fulfillment of the Sustainable Development Goals and other global goals related to mitigating climate change and halting biodiversity loss.
As Finance and Operations Associate for the Nature Crime Alliance, you will work with a growing international team that aims to end nature crime globally.
You will provide vital financial and operational support to this new Alliance – keeping us on track to deliver on our projects, and ensuring that we can advance our agenda.
Your role will be central to the daily running of the Secretariat, and you will thus have close working relationships across the entire Secretariat team, including the management, research, outreach, and communications, and WRI core functions.
You will report to the Operations Manager and have regular support from the Program Manager and Head of Secretariat.
This position will be based out of the WRI DC Global office. This position can also be considered for the WRI London office. This position will be a hybrid model of remote and in-office work.
What you will do:
Budget and expense management (55%)
- Provide essential budget monitoring for the Alliance, by reviewing the transactions and finances of the projects monthly, and updating budgets quarterly (in collaboration with the Operations Manager and project leads)
- Monitor life of grant reporting requirements and ensure that financial progress reports are submitted promptly
- Create budgets for upcoming proposals consistent with WRI's requirements for budgeting costs
- Submit and track requests for payment promptly and ensure that payments processed are consistent with WRI's internal policies and grant requirements
- Support the Operations Manager and Program Manager in ensuring compliance with the terms and conditions of grants and contracts
- Support the Secretariat team, partners, and contractors in understanding all relevant processes and approach issues with patience and good humor.
Grants and contracts management (20%)
- Prepare and maintain subgrant and contract agreements with partners and contractors in line with WRI procurement and grants management policies, including follow-up needs to complete agreements on time, and any required amendments
- Assist in preparation and drafting of large contracts, subgrants and procurement memos, support market research efforts under larger procurements, collect documents from vendors, submits contracts for review and approval and obtains relevant signatures
- Maintain database of contracts and sub-grants under assigned projects and ensure the timely and accurate submission of progress and financial reports from partners
Program administration and support (25%)
- Coordinate logistics of program events, including coordinating venue, catering, travel, and accommodation arrangements.
- Help maintain the Alliance participant database
- Organize and manage program documentation in shared drives
- Support the Secretariat team with other administrative duties, as needed, such as taking meeting minutes, and serving as contact for WRI operations and other primary functions
What you will need:
- Education: Bachelor's degree in business administration, finance, procurement, or related area, or relevant diploma/certificate in accounting or finance
- You have minimum 3 of relevant experience, including a minimum of 3 years of directly relevant experience within finance, contract & procurement, grants coordination, or business administration
- You have worked in roles in the past that require a high level of numerical literacy, especially using Excel (can maintain complex spreadsheets)
- You have managed budgets and tracked expenses for projects, including complex projects (desirable)
- You have experience working with medium to large (1mill USD +) grants, and with ensuring that reporting requirements, policies, and deadlines from donors are met
- You have experience with financial software such as TM1 and Cognos (desirable but training will be provided during onboarding)
- You have experience with procurement processes and contracting
- You have experience with large institutional donors (such as Norway, UK, US) and/or private philanthropies and foundations
- You have worked for or with multi-stakeholder initiatives, and/or with donor funded non-profits
- You have experience working within teams that are geographically dispersed
- Languages: Verbal and written English proficiency. Other language skills desirable.
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization.
$53,000.00 - $68,000.00. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of 28 September 2022.
Your resume must not exceed 3 pages, and your cover letter must not exceed one page.
You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment; we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.