Data Infrastructure Product Manager
World Resources Institute
18 days ago
This position can be based in the WRI Office in the United States, the UK, the Netherlands, Brazil or Mexico. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission for candidates except those who would be based in the Netherlands.
About the Program:
The Data Lab is WRI’s core data innovation and delivery unit. We are a team of over 35 engineers, product managers, and data scientists with deep experience setting data strategy, doing quantitative research, and building data tools and products. We work across WRI’s programs, centres and international offices to use advances in data and technology to help our community improve lives, protect nature, and ensure just transitions. Data of all kinds sits at the heart of how WRI achieves impact in the world, and our world-class research is used by governments, policymakers, NGOs and local communities around the world to improve lives, protect nature, and ensure just transitions.
Data Lab | World Resources Institute (wri.org)
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced Technical Product Manager (TPM) with a passion for data to deploy their skillset to solve some of the world’s most urgent and difficult problems. You will be the lynchpin of a team designing and delivering powerful, flexible, and performant data management products which facilitate the use and deployment of WRI’s vital data. You will be part of a new, dynamic team and will be supported by product managers, data scientists and engineers across the Data Lab, Program areas and the International Offices.
You will report to the Director for Resource Watch, within the Data Lab.
This position is fully remote but could become hybrid depending on the available office space where the candidate is located.
What you will do:
Lead and manage the development of a new Data Infrastructure (90%)
- Own and manage the roadmap for the development of a robust, modernized data architecture for data management, sharing and use. This project will make data from across the institute discoverable, accessible and easily usable for researchers, data scientists, and product teams. This will likely include the development of both front end and back-end tools, including a data catalogue, Open Data Portal and potential API changes.
- Represent users employing advanced data tooling, initially focusing on Land & Carbon Lab projects, but with a view to institutional cohesion across WRI’s programs and teams.
- Define and implement an appropriate project/ product management framework for the development & implementation of data tools, processes and products.
- Manage the technical delivery of the Catalogue & Open Data Portal, initially for the Land & Carbon Lab but ultimately with an institutional remit. This will include:
- Collate requirements and building a technical backlog
- Define the roadmap for the new infrastructure
- Advocate for and champion the team and the product(s) to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Define a communications approach and proactively communicate with stakeholders around WRI
- Develop key metrics and implement any tracking necessary to inform future development and iterations of the product
- Act as an advocate for industry best practice across the organisation on Data Management and usage. Coach the organisation to ensure the business understands how to use and maximise those capabilities.
Contribute to the Data Lab Community (10% time)
- Lead the drafting of blogs, technical notes, and papers for external audiences when requested.
- Contribute to fundraising and external partnership efforts such as through a draft technical capacity statement, work plan, or budget.
- Provide leadership in Product Management approaches and techniques, assisting the WRI Product Management community as a whole to continue iterating and developing.
- Provide mentorship to junior Product staff on the team, coaching them to learn new skills and providing opportunities to develop skills
What you will need:
- Education: You have a completed Bachelor’s degree in a related field (for example, Computer Science, International Development, Environmental Science, etc.)
- Experience: You have 7+ years full-time relevant experience managing complex data engineering projects, including a deep experience with Agile/Scrum development processes
- A recognized Project or Product Management qualification (g., PHP, Prince2, SCRUM Master etc.); or relevant experience in lieu of a professional qualification
- Experience in defining product strategy and developing a roadmap in partnership with technical teams
- Knowledge of Open Data and the principles of open-source software and platform development
- Previous experience with tracking software such as Google Analytics, Hot Jar and Jira, in addition to repositories such as GitHub
- Prior experience developing and rolling out Data Management tools, particularly focusing on open data, complex GIS or environmental data
- Languages: You have verbal and written proficiency in English
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is based (unless you would be based in the Netherlands). WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization for candidates except those to be based in the Netherlands.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of 10 December 2022. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.