Consultant: Program Director, Asia Clean Energy Coalition
World Resources Institute
30+ days ago
This role is based in Asia, with priority for candidates based in South East Asia, Taiwan, Japan or Korea; WRI Global Office (US).
The Founding Partners wish to call upon an individual (“the Candidate” or “them”) to join the Asia Clean Energy Coalition as a full-time Program Director to lead programme management, operations and stakeholder engagement. This is a one-year contract with option for renewal during the 5-year programme. They will be responsible for managing and delivering a programme of activities, building relationships with relevant policymakers and partner initiatives, monitoring progress, managing budget, reporting to members on a regular basis, and coordinating regular meetings between Asia Clean Energy Coalition members and the Founding Partners. They will also support advocacy activities in the region via facilitation of workshops and engagement with media.
- Coordination of the Asia Clean Energy Coalition, including regular meetings between renewable energy buyers, sellers, investors and the Founding Partners;
- Ensuring strong governance and transparency of the Asia Clean Energy Coalition via budget management, progress monitoring and annual reporting;
- Outreach to relevant policymakers and organisations, including national-level renewable energy initiatives in Asia;
- Outreach to corporate buyers, sellers and investors on the Asia Clean Energy Coalition;
- Facilitation of workshops on corporate procurement barriers and opportunities, with a strong focus on policymaker engagement;
- Engagement and management of relationships with current and future funders of the Asia Clean Energy Coalition;
- Collaborate with partner initiatives such as the CEIA in Indonesia, Vietnam, and Philippines and RE100 programs in Japan and S. Korea to stay informed on country market developments, and Representation of the Asia Clean Energy Coalition at relevant events and forums and in the media.
- The Candidate has 7+ years of professional experience in the field of renewable energy and/or sustainability, with a demonstrable track record of project management, corporate and government stakeholder engagement and communications.
- Staying up-to-date with macroeconomic developments in Asia, and particularly with the energy policy environment in priority countries;
- Understanding corporate procurement barriers and growth drivers, and reflecting these in concise, well-written briefs and reports, as well as presentations in closed and public forums;
- Demonstrable track record of project management, including budgeting, progress monitoring and reporting;
- Liaising with relevant government, industry and other stakeholders at a variety of organisational levels for communications and coordination purposes, and strengthening relationships with Asia Clean Energy Coalition partners;
- Ability to recruit additional team members and form a team in the region
- Strong network in the renewable energy sector in the region;
- Communicating in excellent spoken and written English, acumen in at least one relevant language (e.g. Japanese, Korean, Bahasa Indonesian, Vietnamese) preferred;
- Adept at using Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint, and similar office software, as well as cloud-based content management systems;
- Demonstrating strong time management skills, and ability to deliver to deadlines;
- Collaboratively engaging with a dynamic team in fast-paced work environment;
- Self-starting initiatives and working independently when required.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter. Resume and cover letter must be submitted in English to be considered. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
About the Asia Clean Energy Coalition: There is an urgent need to raise awareness within governments and other stakeholders of the significant and growing volume of corporate renewable energy demand and the potential for private sector clean energy investments to help countries meet their energy and climate objectives, and leverage increased renewables deployment to foster more ambitious climate action across Asia. The Climate Group (RE100), CDP, Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC), Global Solar Council (GSC), and the Clean Energy Investment Accelerator (CEIA) (the “Founding Partners”) are therefore establishing the Asia Clean Energy Coalition to enable corporate procurement of renewable energy, and accelerate overall supply of renewable energy, across Asia. The Asia Clean Energy Coalition will amplify local and regional voices for policy change by bringing to bear strong political leverage: both on individual governments and by spurring regional competitive dynamics between governments that can accelerate individual and regional market reforms and drive investment in net-zero solutions.
In particular, the Asia Clean Energy Coalition convenes corporate buyers, sellers and investors of renewable energy in Asia to align and reinforce recommendations for policy and regulatory environments in the region, which unlock the creation, growth, and scaled ambition of corporate renewable energy markets in support of NDCs and Science Based Targets. The Asia Clean Energy Coalition will be established in 2022 for an initial period of five years. The first year will be focused on getting the operational aspects of the Asia Clean Energy Coalition up and running, with a primary focus on driving market evolution to support corporate sourcing of renewable electricity. In subsequent years, the Asia Clean Energy Coalition will build upon this foundation to deepen support for decarbonisation as opportunities for impact arise.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and our operating budget is nearing $200 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of over 1,600 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.