Consultant as Sustainable Mobility Analyst (Surabaya)
World Resources Institute
5 days ago
WRI Cities program is a global initiative dedicated to shaping a future where cities work better for everyone. Our practice area spans various Buildings, Health, Road Safety, Urban Mobility, Urban Development, Urban Government, and Water. Through innovative research, deep engagement, and global partnerships, our network of local and international experts puts cities on a trajectory of more sustainable and equitable development. We catalyze and accelerate transformative initiatives that turn cities into resilient, inclusive, low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet. Placed in seven countries, made the WRI Cities program the second biggest portfolio after climate.
WRI Indonesia seeks to assist the Government of Indonesia in enhancing and mainstreaming innovative low-carbon development approaches to transform the transportation sector in addressing urban mobility issues in the coastal metropolitan of Indonesia that would pave the way for sustainable development and help achieve the government’s bold climate target ie. Net zero-emission.
WRI Indonesia in collaboration with the UK Government through its Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (UK FCDO) has initiated partnering cooperation under the UK Partnering for Accelerating Climate Transitions (UK PACT) to provide programmatic and technical advisory support to address the twin challenges posed by Covid-19 recovery and the risk of natural disaster and climate change to the urban mobility infrastructure and services. The project, which holds the title “Enhancing sustainable urban mobility of coastal metropolitan towards low carbon development”, recognizes the role of WRI Indonesia to lead policy advocacy, technical support, and analytics to subnational governments to design strategies and prepare for the transition towards a low-carbon, inclusive, and safe urban mobility system.
The technical assistance will enable support in Greater Surabaya, which is projected to implement a mass rapid transit program by 2024 and yet is known for its vulnerability to sea-level rise and flooding. Some of the activities to be conducted include policy dialogue with the subnational governments, capacity building for stakeholders, the development of a platform to monitor the impact on emission reduction in the specified area, assessment of spatial plans and infrastructure to design a sustainable urban mobility action plan, develop conceptual design and feasibility study of an urban mobility policy, and knowledge management. The project will benefit from WRI’s Indonesia portfolio on e-mobility through lessons on developing policy with subnational governments on promoting the utilization of Electric vehicles.
The main role of the Sustainable Mobility Analyst is to provide technical and operational support to Urban Sustainability Program Lead in organizing activities as stipulated in the work plan. This position requires liaising and building a network of key stakeholders in Surabaya consisting of but not limited to policymakers, development partners, academics, the private sector, and marginalized communities. The Analyst will closely monitor the progress of activities and suggest solutions when encountering obstacles and provide the WRI Indonesia Cities team with technical advice on the development of a Memorandum of Understanding with the city, supervise surveys, review a detailed spatial plan, and review a conceptual design of a site and surrounding infrastructure. While reporting directly to Urban Sustainability Program Lead, this position is expected to work collaboratively and share lessons gained from the project with other colleagues across WRI and WRI’s local partner.
The work base for this position will be Surabaya, Indonesia. The consultant may work from anywhere within the city as long as online measures are available. Travel out of the working base is expected.
What You Will Do
Engagement and facilitation (50%)
- Assist Urban Sustainability Program Lead to implement activities within WRI’s responsibility in the project
- Liaise with the city's officials and key stakeholders in Surabaya to build awareness and political support for the project and the overall WRI-led activities
- Facilitate the establishment of a Task Force that aims to provide technical advice to the city government on a safe, inclusive, resilient, and low-carbon urban mobility system
- Facilitate dialogue and negotiation on the development of a Memorandum of Understanding or other legal documents between the city of Surabaya and WRI
- Facilitate engagement with leading agencies to support project implementation
- Maintain close coordination with partner’s city coordinator
- Provide inputs in meetings, discussions, and dialogue with stakeholders
Data support and technical review (30%)
- Collect data and information in Greater Surabaya that relevant to WRI-led project activities
- Prepare a summary of city regulations, development planning, and publications that build an understanding of the issue of sustainable urban mobility in Surabaya
- Hold independent analytics on urban mobility issues that combines the perspective of transportation engineering, renewable energy, net-zero emission, green infrastructure, and information technology
- Review the methodology of studies and conceptual design prepared by partners
- Facilitate the studies and design activity led by partners
- Evaluate the output studies and conceptual design prepared by partners
Monitoring, evaluation, and learning (20%)
- Assist Urban Sustainability Program Lead to track progress, identifying implementation challenges, and suggesting solutions to avoid delays
- Facilitate harvesting lessons learned through various means of knowledge exchange convened by WRI
- Collaborate and coordinate with staff across WRI Indonesia and representatives of international organizations
- Contribute to the dissemination of information on the WRI project to key stakeholders and the public
- Prepare and share the Minutes of the Meeting
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning/ Civil Engineering/ Environmental science/ Public Policy, preferably have experience working in the public sector,
- Minimum three years of experience in project implementation related to sustainable transportation
- Have expertise within a specific area or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within some areas
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge to carry out technical reviews of various project deliverables such as the basic conceptual design of infrastructure
- A clear understanding of urban mobility issues and the interrelated linkage they have with climate change, renewable energy, carbon emission, air quality, and built environment
- Professional level of written and verbal skills in Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Draft of the concept of Task Force for the project implementation
- Draft of the Memorandum of Understanding or other legalized document as needed
- Minutes of high-level meetings with the head of regions and/or cities in Greater Surabaya
- Minutes of meetings and consultations involving local governments, academics, and women and disabled communities
- Repository of regulations, policy papers, development plans, maps, and other publications as relevant
- Review note of studies and conceptual design prepared by partners
- A weekly report of project progress
1 October 2022 – 30 September 2023
Terms of Payment
Daily-rate-based consultant with maximum of 10 working days per month.
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited-term)
What we offer
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have the authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through the WRI career portal.
Application close: 1700 ( DKI Jakarta local time ), 30 September 2022 . We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia, and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environmental and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, and Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is a national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI works with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.