Manager - Industry/MSME Expert
World Resources Institute
7 days ago
Manager – Industry/MSME Expert, Climate Program, WRI India
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Climate:
At WRI India’s Climate Program, we focus on integrated solutions that can enable a low-carbon transition in India, while ensuring that the transition is equitable and just for its people and protects natural resources. Through applied research, the use of frameworks and tools, partnerships with key stakeholders and ground-level implementation, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your role:
Employing 110 million workers, MSMEs are the backbone of India's economy. While the MSME sector has already been struggling due to financing, technology and capacity constraints, the consecutive waves of COVID-19 have impacted almost 95% of firms. MSMEs are also vulnerable to impacts of climate change. Increasingly, MSMEs will need support to adapt to climate change impacts, implement climate actions to remain competitive, and adopt to the industry and policy trends moving India towards clean energy economy to ensure that the transition is just and equitable.
In this regard, the Climate Program at WRI India is seeking a dynamic Manager for its ongoing intervention with the Indian MSME sector to build their resilience towards impacts of climate change, build their capacity to decarbonize and stay competitive in the low carbon economy and support a “just” transition by identifying skilling needs and developing skilling programs and building capacity on accessing climate finance. The Manager will play a critical role in: (a) successfully engaging with MSMEs, policymakers and other relevant stakeholders, (b) leading, conducting and guiding research and implementation of the project, (c) draw key insights and provide recommendations to meet the objectives and deliver impact, and (d) facilitate on-ground activities at the state or cluster level.
How your day will unfold:
The Manager will undertake a range of tasks as listed below.
- Build and nurture relationships with MSMEs, local governmental, industry and MSME organizations, educational institutions, associations, and communities we work with across projects
- Lead focused interviews, consultations, discussions, and other engagement with cluster associations, MSME units in the clusters, skill development partners, experts, policy makers and government officials as needed throughout the project
- Lead secondary research to complement the interviews and consultations to identify and map the existing skilling needs, gaps, and impact on women’s workforce participation
- Conduct and support data collection, data analysis and present analysis to relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Lead coordination and dissemination of capacity building activities
- Organize events/conferences/ trainings/webinars that WRI India hosts or participates in
- Manage project by ensuring timely completion of activities and high-quality deliverables
- Write compelling and persuasive research products, articles, and blogs, and provide research and content development support, as needed
- Keep abreast of industry trends, policy landscape and sectoral developments
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Project Lead and Climate Program Director
Qualifications and Requirements we seek:
- Post graduate degree/ Masters degree in Social Sciences, Engineering, Economics, or Public Policy
- At least 7 years of relevant industry experience, preferably in relation to environmental/climate change interventions, including 3-4 years of experience with MSMEs
- Experience of conducting, planning, coordinating skilling programs or capacity building amongst MSMEs, entrepreneurs, or skilled/semi-skilled workers is highly desirable
- Willingness to travel to MSME clusters for research and engagement
- Awareness of environment and climate domain – key issues and trends
- Experience of working with and coordinating across multiple stakeholders is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills; good communications and writing skills
- Willingness to engage with the team members and a strong sense of respect for the team members and stakeholders
- Responsible, resourceful, and self-motivated
- Fluent in English and Hindi
- Fluency in regional languages is highly preferred
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 2 year (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, India
Start Date: At the earliest
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter (outlining your interest and suitability for the position)
- A writing sample (no more than 1000 words; preferably on a climate policy related topic for a general audience)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.