P4G National Platform Consultant, Mexico
World Resources Institute
Mexico City, Mexico
30+ days ago
This position is a limited-term position through December 2022 with the possibility of extension. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission for the country office designated. WRI is not able to sponsor work authorization for this position.
P4G – Partnering for Green Growth and the Global Goals 2030 – is a global initiative that brings together business, government, and civil society organizations in innovative public-private partnerships. We focus on breakthrough solutions that help our partner countries meet their climate commitments under the Paris Agreement and their Sustainable Development Goals in five key areas: food and agriculture, water, energy, cities and circular economy. P4G supports innovative partnerships to become global models for sustainable solutions. In addition, through global convening moments such as the P4G Summit, we showcase the most innovative partnerships driving sustainable development in the world. We currently work with 12 partner countries: Bangladesh, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Kenya, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Republic of Korea, South Africa, and Vietnam. P4G has five partner organizations, namely the Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40), Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI), International Finance Corporation (IFC), World Economic Forum (WEF), and World Resources Institute (WRI). P4G is managed by a Global Hub hosted by WRI, and is overseen by a Board of Directors and Executive Committee. Each partner country establishes a National Platform to engage relevant country stakeholders and progress partnerships. The Mexico National Platform is co-chaired by the Secretary of Economy, the Business Coordinating Council, and the UN Global Compact Chapter in Mexico. The National Platform has engaged with P4G to support partnerships accelerating Mexico priorities including electric mobility, circular economy, and food waste elimination.
WRI intends to award a consultant a four-month contract to support Mexico’s P4G National Platform, including outreach to key stakeholders in government and the private sector, support for existing P4G partnerships in country, and the development of potential innovative private-public partnerships aligned with P4G’s funding criteria and the National Platform’s priorities for sustainable development. This work will traverse engagement and project management activities.
This position is a limited-term position through December 2022 with the possibility of extension.
It is anticipated that the position will require 20-40 hours per week.
- National Platforms: Establish and/or support the country’s National Platform. Activities include: a. Outreach to NP co-chairs and stakeholders including: government ministry(ies) (core economic/development/ planning ministries), private sector (business associations), and if possible, entrepreneur network b. Convene NP co-chair meeting c. Assist the NP in completing the Mexico National Platform Action Plan d. Prepare relevant documents for NP to engage in Phase 2 and manage through any staffing transitions (eg, MOUs, recommitment letters, briefing materials for new country board members and/or focal points) e. Develop and implement NP Plans in conjunction with NP and Hub. f. Utilizing the P4G Platform to further the development-investment agenda in country g. Identify potential national climate and development funds which P4G partnerships could help access h. Support the Secretary of Economy 2030 Agenda in aligning P4G with other programs under its responsibility i. Organize relation between P4G, National Platform, and the Mexico entity involved in Mexico’s Pro Tempore Presidency of the Pacific Alliance
- Partnerships: Accelerate P4G partnerships and develop partnership pipeline. Activities include: a. Active acceleration of at least 2 priority current partnerships and NP meeting with all current partnerships at least once. Convene meetings with Partnerships, including facilitating introductions to relevant ministries and hosting workshops b. Develop network to source partnerships that are a P4G fit c. Originate 2-4 high potential prospective partnerships and support concept note development d. Facilitate P4G advice on partnerships even beyond P4G funding, and connect to alternative investors and/or funding sources
- P4G Engagement: Coordinate P4G engagement with partner country to increase knowledge of P4G in-country and growing the ecosystem holistically. Activities include: a. Organizing and/or contributing to global high-level events that are important to P4G and NP priorities b. Support NP engagement in P4G Board meetings, Summit and relevant events c. Arrange P4G Mission Trips to country Deliverables/Outputs
Education: Postgraduate degree in relevant field, ie. business, finance, international development, development studies preferred. Undergraduate university degree required; we will accept additional years of highly relevant experience in lieu of a postgraduate degree.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years’ experience, working with the private sector and government on developing, evaluating, financing or implementing business opportunities
Experience engaging with government officials in Mexico · Experience working in multi-stakeholder groups on policy or regulatory reform, as well as experience working with international development and/or finance agencies
Project management experience, ideally in business, policy, or sustainable development
Demonstrated knowledge or expertise in one or more of P4G’s technical sectors is desired. These include: Food and Agriculture, Energy, Water, Cities, and the Circular Economy.
Experience working in challenging, cross-sectoral, multi-cultural, fast-paced environments and ability to work independently are a must.
Superb interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collegially with others and with the highest standards of integrity
Excellent communications and organizational skills required.
Languages: Fluency in both English and host country language in written and oral communications required.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume/CV and proposed pricing. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
About Us: Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
Our culture: WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.