Consultant as Transport Environmental Specialist
World Resources Institute
30+ days ago
WRI Indonesia’s e-mobility portfolio focus on reducing cities’ GHG emission through vehicle electrification and, in-paralel with the energy and climate programs, greening the electricity grid to reach optimum emission reduction. Our mission is to help cities and provinces to implement low carbon development, particularly in transportation and energy sectors, to achieve economic, social, and environmental goals.
Transformative Urban mobility Initiative (TUMI)
The TUMI E-Bus Mission will build off WRI’s previous e-bus research and technical assistance activities. The project incorporates both deep transition support in a selected group of cities and peer-to-peer mentorship between cities. Through both the deep transition assistance and the mentorship program, the TUMI E-Bus Mission will systematically dismantle barriers to mass e-bus adoption, while mobilizing government and industry action. As part of TUMI’s coalition, WRI Indonesia plays key role in national and city stakeholder management, execution of the e-bus workplan, and mentee program support. In this phase 2 TUMI E-Bus Mission, WRI Indonesia will work with Transjakarta on e-bus impact monitoring by providing an end-to-end emissions monitoring system tools and work with Jakarta’s e-bus stakeholders on sub-coalition establishment. WRI Indonesia will also involve in capacity building support with Indonesia’s city network on E-Bus Strategic Topics.
Clean Air Catalyst (CAC)
WRI Indonesia air quality program is growing along with the new USAID-funded program called “Clean Air Catalyst”, which will be implemented by a global consortium that WRI is leading with EDF and other partners. The consortium includes six additional partners: Clean Air Toolbox for Cities (Columbia University), Climate and Clean Air Coalition, Internews Network, MAP-AQ, OpenAQ, and Vital Strategies. The program will work in three pilot regions with WRI international offices and local partners to test and refine a three-part data to action methodology for improving air quality and delivering climate co-benefits. We plan to work with local partners in three pilot regions – one of which is Jakarta, Indonesia – to test and refine a three-part data to action methodology for improving air quality and delivering climate co-benefits.
What You Will Do
The transport environmental specialist will work closely with WRI Indonesia’s Cities team to accelerate Jakarta’s air quality improvement and emission reduction program through the introduction of electric bus and low carbon heavy duty vehicle, with specific responsibilities for each workstream, including but not limited to:
- TUMI E-Bus Mission: Technical Assistance and Coalition Building in Jakarta.
- Conduct technical analyses to assist Transjakarta in assessing electric bus impact which will be focusing on environmental and sustainability aspects.
- Provide technical recommendations and participate in knowledge products development to support WRI Indonesia’s role as a thought-leader in transport environment topics.
- Assist WRI Indonesia and C40 collaboration program in building a communication and engagement with Jakarta’s e-bus stakeholders to establish coalition building on e-bus acceleration and air quality improvement program.
- Participate in WRI Indonesia and/or WRI Global e-mobility strategic and coordination meetings
- Closely coordinate with TUMI’s Indonesia consortium PICs to enhance, implement, and monitoring project workplan
- Clean Air Catalyst
- Participate in Clean Air Catalyst science and solution coordination meetings with WRI Global, Vital Strategies, WRI Indonesia, MAP AQ, Open AQ, and other catalyst partners;
- Identify data gap in developing list of solutions in combating air pollution in Jakarta aligned with Jakarta regional action plan;
- Lead the development of solution lists and strategic approaches to improve Jakarta’s air quality from transport perspective while catering intersection of gender and climate;
- Provide consultation to the Catalyst team of pros and cons for each solution from various point of view.
- Project Management
- Maintain daily coordination with the team regarding projects’ update, progresses and challenges
- Participate in planning and implementing outreach events (e.g. conference, FGDs, workshops) as necessary
- Assisting project leaders in preparing administrative aspects related to the project, including but not limited to the project report, ToR, and budget estimation.
What You Will Need
- Bachelors’s Degree in transportation, civil engineering, environmental engineering, urban planning or any other related field. Having a Master’s Degree is a plus.
- Minimum 3-5 years of full-time work experience in transportation or environment filed, has a knowledge and experience in EV study is a plus.
- Legally able to work in Indonesia
- Able to travel to other provinces/cities in Indonesia
- Studies, interest or experience working on transportation, sustainability, e-mobility, environment, and power sector issues is preferred
- Experience in scientific writing with history in publishing international peer-reviewed journal
- Highly organized and systematic with strong time management skills and ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Professional fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment and cross sectoral themes
- Highly motivated, strong can-do attitude, proactive work style and excellent organizational skills and work-ethic.
- Problem solver who is willing to develop and share ideas internally and externally
- Final draft of Transjakarta’s Technical Assistance Report
- Final draft of Jakarta’s coalition building establishment
- Final version or published knowledge products as planned in the projects
- Technical analyses results (i.e. presentations or reports) as planned in the projects
- Capacity building events conducted as planned in the projects
- Monthly verbal or written progress report to the team
Clean Air Catalyst
- Final draft of Jakarta Air Quality solution design
- Draft of Communication materials on Air Quality Solution Handbook
- Delivering Root Cause Analysis and Disruptability Workshops
1 November 2022 – 31 April 2023
Terms of Payment
Daily rate consultant with maximum 18 (eighteen) working days per month
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited term)
What we offer
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal.
Application close: 1700 ( DKI Jakarta local time ), 31 October 2022. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation