Consultant as Restoration and Behavioral Research Specialist
World Resources Institute
11 days ago
The overall objective of the Emission Reduction & Sequestration Initiative (EMISI) is to transform the behaviors of individuals and organizations to be more aware of their negative environmental impact, act upon it and could scale their positive contribution in the society. WRI Indonesia will achieve this through working together with governments, businesses and individuals, by installing and integrating emission monitoring business processes and systems into their current organizational and individual behaviors and value chains. The outcomes include improved sustainable behavior in terms of reducing and offsetting emissions through an accountable participatory approach with organizations and the public at large. Prior and while achieving this, EMISI facilitates implementation of the same to internal WRI Indonesia so the organization could walk the talk and become a role model for external parties (Sustainability Champions).
The consultant will provide technical work in multiple areas of carbon neutrality that focus on nature-based solutions using forest restoration. This includes conducting and assessing restoration opportunities in various location by several organization partners of WRI Indonesia. Specifically, the consultant will lead engagement with restoration partners, managing restoration data given by restoration partners and assist in analyzing the impact on restoration activities on environmental, social, and economic aspects at individual and organizational levels. The consultant will then conduct behavioral research pertaining to impact of such restoration to be included in the development and improvement of a web-based environmental emission monitoring processes and systems, as well as to develop relevant knowledge products. Last but not least, the consultant is also expected to align the carbon neutrality through restoration program with bigger sustainable business portfolio such as net zero and SBTi at WRI Indonesia. The office base for this position will be Jakarta, Indonesia, however consultant could be worked from anywhere within commute distance from office base as long as online measures are available. This position is reporting to Sustainable Business & Corporate Engagement Manager while coordinating closely with other WRI Indonesia’s teams.
What You Will Do
Knowledge and Research Work (40%)
- Lead development of research on restoration impact analysis and publish the research as knowledge product.
- Advancing research on Nature-based Solutions (NBS) as an adaptation strategy and investment methods to be internalized in individual and corporate’s sustainability and climate action.
- Reviewing partnerships, agencies, communities of practice, and projects that serve as potential future collaborators and showcase local leadership and innovative approaches to Nature-based Solutions (NBS) interventions.
- Lead behavioral strategic research to help improve technology-based emission monitoring process.
- Progressing of new types of analytical tool relevant to sustainable business objective, including net zero and SBTi.
- Facilitate meetings and capacity building trainings with various relevant stakeholders in EMISI project context.
Restoration Project Management (40%)
- Lead engagement and project management with restoration partners regarding restoration activity projects.
- Develop proposal for restoration project to potential donor in EMISI, including fund disbursement system.
- Preparing and delivering communication with donors regarding the restoration project.
- Manage all restoration data submitted by restoration partners according to data management system.
- Evaluate and develop restoration data management system including data collection guidelines, tools and online database system
Stakeholder Communication and Engagement (20%)
- Active involvement of searching new restoration partners and assessing their suitability to involve in EMISI.
- Develop messaging strategy and content to support climate behavior change driven by technology.
- Closely engage with relevant WRI researchers, operations and business support teams at national or regional teams.
What You Will Need
Bachelor’s degree in Forest Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management, Economics, Anthropology, Psychology and other Environmental-related Science. Master’s Degree is preferred.
Possess minimum 3 years of experience on Nature-based Solution (NBS) and restoration activities, including NBS implementation type of approaches and current ecosystem of policy support on NBS in Indonesia.
Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity in dealing with project management, data collection and impact analysis in both qualitative and quantitative method.
- Familiarity in restoration and conservation world includes type of restoration activities, location and organisation who work on restoration across Indonesia.
- Familiarity with behavioral change strategy pertaining to climate neutrality and forest restoration.
- Owns the ability to attractively visualize narratives & data in a compact & presentable form through various graphics.
- Strong analytical skill with strong attention to detail, mixed with highly responsible and self-motivated attitude.
- Strong understanding on the basics of restoration initiatives in the climate change industry would be a plus.
- Legally able to work in Indonesia, with language fluency and basic understanding of both local culture and English.
- Improved partnership implementation and system with EMISI’s restoration partners, aligning with net zero/SBTi.
- Improved restoration project implementation with its restoration partners, including its database management.
- Conducted three proposals for behavioral change research pertaining to climate neutrality and restoration.
- Drafted two knowledge product and blogposts on restoration impact.
Initial contract up to 30 April 2023 with possibility of extension subject to individual performance evaluations, project needs, and budget availability
Terms of Payment
Daily rate consultant with maximum 16 (sixteen) working days per month.
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited term)
What we offer
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal.
Application close: 1700 ( DKI Jakarta local time ), 22 September 2022 . We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation