Consultant as Net Zero Specialist
World Resources Institute
12 days ago
Science-based Targets initiative (SBTi), using fundamental tools such as Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHGP), facilitates ambitious companies for near to long-term climate targeting driven by research, as to reach net zero emission (NZE) commitments toward limiting global temperature rise to 1.5 C, within and beyond the companies’ value chain. SBTi provides global net zero standard that is implemented by WRI, among its partners, as think tank that provides best available guidance and quality assurance for net zero journey by its clients. In parallel to implementing it externally, WRI also implements SBTi internally, to offices in not only Indonesia but also India and China in the Global Sustainability Initiative context, whereby SBTi would provide appealing, scalable enablers and action-oriented options to deliver high impact emission management programs.
As an international non-profit think tank, WRI Indonesia continuously deliver policy and practical impacts, mainly partnering with foundations and international donors for its programmatic and operational delivery. Beginning 2022 however, WRI Indonesia has embarked a new business unit called PT. Sumber Daya Dunia Lestari (SDL) to generate surpluses from its financial inflows against its outflows and expenses. The aim is to provide innovative model of fundraising, as to make the organization more self-sustaining. WRI Indonesia is doing this through social entrepreneurship values and income-for-purpose approach, with the goal to scale up bigger socio-economic and environmental positive impacts. Working with various partners, projects that fall under SDL could be derived from WRI Indonesia itself or separate, though in any case the benefits and resource allocation would reinforce each other.
The consultant will provide technical work and advisory in multiple areas to provide high-quality consultancy related to the greenhouse gases (GHG) emission for several clients (private and/or non-private sector) of WRI Indonesia in their net zero action plan. Specifically, the consultant and his/her team will contribute on calculating GHG emission from entire-value chain of clients using Greenhouse Gas Protocol, providing advisory for clients’ decarbonization strategy/climate solutions, and assisting clients to set their Science-based Target using available tools. Also, the consultant will work closely with collaborative partners of WRI Indonesia on developing Science-based Targets Initiative in Indonesia and Southeast Asia, as well as to develop knowledge products on decarbonization pathway of private sector under SBTi. This includes aligning, when necessary, with PT SDDL work. The consultant office based will be in Jakarta Office, but could be work from anywhere as long as online measures are available, reporting to Sustainable Business & Corporate Engagement Manager while coordinating closely with other WRI Indonesia’s teams.
Knowledge and Research Work (40%)
- Lead a team to develop and advance research on GHG accounting on businesses’ value chain analysis for emission profiling of private sectors, especially but not limited to SMEs, large enterprise, conglomerates.
- Manage the advancement of robust analysis on multiple climate solutions (papers, products, platforms) from WRI’s various portfolios as emission abatement and mitigation strategy to be offered to private sectors in their net zero journey using SBTi, including capacity building.
- Coordinate conceptualization, writing and publication of knowledge and communication products pertaining to SBTi and net zero for SMEs, large enterprises and conglomerates.
- Support in setting up governance systems of PT SDL (HR, marketing, finance and decision making) that would be able to respond to client needs using WRI’s own private sector approach.
Stakeholder Engagement & Data Metrics (40%)
- Lead engagement and meeting facilitation with GHG accounting and SBTi Net Zero private sector partners.
- Manage development of new proposal for GHG accounting and SBTi Net Zero private sector partners.
- Coordinate messaging strategy and data collection and metrics tracking from companies being supported.
- Integrate WRI Indonesia’s SBTi client engagement to be involved in PT SDL work, including the for-profit metrics.
- Closely engage with relevant WRI researchers, operations and business support teams at national or regional teams.
Client Project Management (20%)
- Manage project timelines, roles, and responsibilities with clients on GHG and SBTi works.
- As needed, coordinate the alignment of sustainable business portfolio across projects at WRI Indonesia, including net zero’s abatement approach with carbon removal and neutrality approaches.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Sustainable Development, Environmental Engineering, Entrepreneurship, Economics, and other Sustainability-related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- At least 4 years of experience in GHG accounting, sustainability in private sectors, and climate change.
- Strong understanding of low carbon transition, GHG mitigation technologies and strategies, and opportunities of net zero emission.
- Familiarity in dealing with various strategi business value chain (including but not limited to Forest, Land-use, and Agriculture (FLAG), energy, transportation, financial institution) and scale (small-medium to large enterprises).
- Familiarity with several tools of corporate climate action, such as Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHGP) and Science-based Targets Initiatives (SBTi) target setting tools.
- Experienced in dealing with qualitative and quantitative data management, analysis and relevant frameworks.
- Experienced in writing and/or reviewing research papers and scientific articles pertaining to sustainability.
- Understanding of entrepreneurship modelling basics in the climate change industry would be a plus.
- Owns the ability to attractively visualize complex narratives into simpler, presentable forms.
- Strong attention to detail, mixed with highly responsible and self-motivated, innovative attitude.
- Legally able to work in Indonesia, with language fluency and basic understanding of both local culture and English.
- Innovate and improved strategic model and implementation of net zero for large enterprises and conglomerates in WRI Indonesia.
- Coordinated approach for calculation of GHG emission and target settings of SBTi’s clients.
- Coordinated knowledge and capacity building for SBTi team on corporate decarbonization strategy of each sector of industries.
- Developed minimum three proposals on corporate net zero or sustainability trend analysis.
- Published three knowledge product and blogposts for targeted audience.
Initial contract up to 30 April 2023 with possibility of extension subject to individual performance evaluation, project needs, and budget availability.
Terms of Payment
Daily rate consultant with maximum 18 (eighteen) working days per month
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited term)
What we offer
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal.
Application close: 1700 ( DKI Jakarta local time ), 15 September 2022 . We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect. The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $100 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 800+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.
The World Resources Institute ( http://www.wri.org ) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.