Senior Project Associate - Modelling – Climate
Program, WRI India
Who we are and what we do?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
Climate Program Overview
At WRI India’s Climate Program we focus on integrated solutions to enable India’s low carbon transition. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we access what climate policies could enable clean energy transition, what action will enable urban transition and how the outcomes can be just and equitable.
Working at WRI India Climate program offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across India. We seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded, and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
About your role:
WRI India is seeking a Senior Associate - Modelling for its Climate Program. The selected candidate will contribute to the team’s work on modelling low-carbon development pathways for India using the Energy Policy Simulator (EPS) and/or the Green Economy Model (GEM), both systems dynamics computer models built in the simulation software ‘Vensim’. Both models include the energy, industry, transport, buildings and agriculture/land sectors, and enable an integrated assessment of climate policies in these sectors, along with their macroeconomic implications, such as effects on investment, economic growth and employment. While the EPS models the energy, industry, transport, buildings sectors in detail, we are developing the GEM for better representation of land and other natural resource use, as well as to derive distributional implications of climate policies.
The selected candidates will undertake model development and analysis related activities including supporting periodic model updates, analyzing model results, conducting consultations and workshops with stakeholders to develop and/or co-create low-carbon growth scenarios, and documenting model description and findings in varied publications. The candidates should have a broad understanding of energy and climate landscape in the country, demonstrated experience in working with large datasets and writing of results, and preferably a prior energy/economy modeling experience.
How your day will unfold:
- Contribute to shaping the analysis of alternative low-carbon pathways towards a just and inclusive clean energy transition for India, within the context of domestic policies, broader sustainable development goals, and implementation challenges.
- Understand the structure of the EPS (and/or GEM), its outputs, and input datasets by going through the model input files (in Excel) or code (in Vensim) and reading model documentation.
- Support periodic updates to models
- Contribute to updates to the model documentation in line with existing model structure and any ongoing/future updates
- Contribute to development and co-creation of alternate climate policy scenarios for India in consultation with relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate events for engagement with internal and external stakeholders through roundtables, seminars, workshops, policy dialogues, training, and other communication and outreach activities.
- Stay updated with policy landscape, sectoral developments, and industry trends.
- Publish technical papers, policy briefs, and blogs on topics related to climate scenarios, deep decarbonization, NetZero roadmaps, sectoral transition strategies, and others.
Qualifications and Requirements we seek:
- Post graduate degree in Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, Environmental/Climate Science or a related subject.
- 4-7 years of full-time work experience in the domain of climate or energy policy related research for India is required, with a preference for experience with GHG emissions/energy or economics modelling
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and analysis of large quantitative datasets.
- Broad understanding of India’s energy systems and climate policy.
- Ability to communicate fluently (oral and written) in English.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Experience with conducting stakeholder consultations.
- Patience and careful attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Vensim and Python programming skills.
- Ability to work calmly and enthusiastically under high pressure and manage multiple tasks.
Salary and Benefits: INR 11,00,000 LPA to INR 13,00,000 LPA
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 2 years (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: Delhi/Bangalore/Mumbai, India
Start Date: At the earliest
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter (outlining your interest and suitability for the position)
- A writing sample (no more than 1000 words; preferably on a climate policy related topic for a general audience)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staffmember
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.