Senior Program Associate - Communication, Water Resilience Practice
World Resources Institute
30+ days ago
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 300 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
About your Role:
The Senior Associate – Communications, Water Resilience will work closely with WRI India’s Sustainable Cities communications team, WRI India’s core communications team and global communications team. The role entails developing and managing communication and outreach initiatives, liaising with partners, and supervising communication and outreach material and elements for on ground and digital initiatives. The selected candidate will report to Senior Program Manager – Urban Water Resilience.
We would like a technical communication specialist with major interest in water and water related ecosystem/ economic geography/ urban planning/ climate change issues to apply for this position. A candidate with background in water or urban planning would be preferable. The candidate will be expected to support ongoing research and writing and if required author/co-author communication, training and outreach material (such as blogs/ stories/ infographics/ vlogs/ training modules) on contemporary water issues, regional/urban planning and related issues.
How your day will unfold:
- Provide writing, editing and proof-reading support.
- Help team members write blogs and proof/edit to meet WRI India’s standards.
- Write press releases, newsletters, and social media content along with ideating, facilitating, and editing op-eds for external publication. Check for length, language, flow, spelling and grammar.
- Document on-ground activities – challenges, opportunities and impact.
- Serve as liaison between WRI India communications and program staff to develop program-related communications.
- Manage quality control and ensure timely dissemination of emailers and newsletters.
Website & Social Media -
- Perform quality control checks on all new and revised content for websites and social media.
- Work closely with WRI India communications staff to ensure that any media coverage is promptly and systematically shared on the organization’s social media platforms, websites and in any newsletters, recap mailers or for external media outreach.
- Ability to create/supervise simple social media infographics/visuals and disseminate research data in a visually appealing format. Visual communication expertise and knowledge of photo editing softwares are a plus but not necessary.
- Facilitating webinars that involve digital planning and social media coverage in collaboration with the social media team.
- Contribute to website projects and manage backend updates.
Technical Responsibilities -
- Undertake research to understand the water and water related ecosystem/ economic geography/ urban planning/ climate change issues in Indian cities
- Support internal communication and team coordination for running initiatives on water and ecology, economy and social development
- Engage in communication and outreach activities of large city-level forums comprising of various stakeholder groups through strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical writing skills to support the team in ongoing projects, research, content generation, reports, proposals, etc.
- Ability to simplify complex ideas, including creating visualizations for easy interpretation of the data for different audiences
- Communicating and coordinating with partners and other stakeholders and liaising with relevant organizations/ platforms/ initiatives to further project goals.
- Ensuring that all WRI India content disbursed to the media is precise, factual, and legally sound. Also, ensuring WRI India’s branding and style guides are adhered to in all outreach materials.
- Mapping media to specific work and pitching relevant stories in collaboration with the Media lead.
- Identifying key messages and packaging and pitching stories for dissemination.
- On-ground support for events and workshops and coordinating with local vendors.
Qualifications and requirements we seek:
- Minimum 5 - 7 years of full-time experience working as:
- Media communicator in the development sector
- Experience in water/ urban planning focused organization preferred
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English. Ability to write in Hindi will be an added plus.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to build and maintain productive relationships internally and externally.
- Capability to communicate complex ideas in everyday language.
- Ability to self-manage and meet deadlines, manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, technical curiosity, and willingness to learn.
- Understanding of how websites are developed and basic troubleshooting.
- Basic familiarity with design software (Photoshop, InDesign, Canva or other AV/ animation software) is an added benefit.
Salary and Benefits: 11,00,000 to 13,00,000 PA
Location: Delhi/Bengaluru, India
Duration: Two Years (Extendable based on performance and project requirements.x)
List of Documents to be attached:
Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing samples
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.