Post Doctoral Fellow (Air Quality)
World Resources Institute
14 days ago
Post Doctoral Fellow (Air Quality) Sustainable Cities Team-Delhi/Indore,India
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
Clean Air Catalyst (CAC): A global partnership for accelerating clean air solutions
Action to improve and maintain clean air has lagged far behind the mounting evidence of harm. The Clean Air Catalyst seeks to demonstrate a globally applicable approach to developing locally tailored, self-reliant solutions that cut air pollution and improve human health in cities in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). Our partnership brings together diverse local stakeholders to address critical information gaps, to build confidence and trust in air pollution information and to advance and institutionalize lasting solutions.
The consortium includes six additional partners: Clean Air Toolbox for Cities (Columbia University), Climate and Clean Air Coalition, Internews Network, MAP-AQ, OpenAQ, and Vital Strategies. We plan to work with local partners in three pilot regions to test and refine a three-part data to action methodology for improving air quality and delivering climate co-benefits.
Additional information about the project will be provided to candidates selected for further consideration.
The successful candidate will be responsible for air quality monitoring, data analysis, source identification, air pollution dispersion, receptor modeling, data collection from the primary and secondary sources, and technical writing for India locations (Indore and surrounding areas) under the CAC project. The candidate will work closely with air quality experts.
The candidate will be required to independently design the study, data collection, analysis, and scientific research paper writing.
The candidate will handle a range of responsibilities. Some of the key responsibilities will include:
- Research design, Air quality sampling (collection of data through regulatory grade and low-cost instruments), Air quality data analysis, source apportionment study, development of emissions inventory, root cause analysis of air pollution
- Technical reports and paper writing
- Liaise with experts in India (CAC project partners), global experts, and researchers to facilitate the development of high-quality research and pilot design.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering/Civil Engineering/Atmospheric Sciences/Aerosol Science/Physics/Climate Sciences or a related quantitative field.
- Strong background in atmospheric science, air quality sampling, air quality research.
- Significant background in handling and processing large data sets.
- Good experience in field experiment environmental sensing/measurement.
- Full-time work experience (optional) with knowledge and use of air quality instruments is desirable after/during Ph.D. International work/study experience will be valuable
- Demonstrated exceptional ability (through published work, articles, etc.) to write and comprehend effectively
- Strong analytical research skills -ability to communicate complex concepts clearly, both orally and in writing, with English fluency.
Candidates will be required to produce a writing sample.
Duration of Appointment
- The appointment for the post is for two years. The appointment will initially be for one year. Renewal will be subjected to the performance of the candidate.
- The post is purely temporary and on a contractual basis.
Location: Delhi/Indore, India
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter and Resume
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
Learn more about our organization at www.wri.org.