Manager - Modelling, Climate Program
World Resources Institute
30+ days ago
Manager - Modelling – Climate Program, WRI India
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Climate:
At WRI India’s Climate Program, we focus on integrated solutions that can enable a low-carbon transition in India, while ensuring that the transition is equitable and just for its people and protects natural resources. Through applied research, the use of frameworks and tools, partnerships with key stakeholders and ground-level implementation, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
WRI India is seeking Managers - Modelling for its Climate Program. The selected candidate will contribute to the team’s work on modelling low-carbon development pathways for India using the Energy Policy Simulator (EPS) and/or the Green Economy Model (GEM), both systems dynamics computer models built in the simulation software ‘Vensim’. Both models include the energy, industry, transport, buildings and agriculture/land sectors, and enable an integrated assessment of climate policies in these sectors, along with their macroeconomic implications, such as effects on investment, economic growth and employment. While the EPS models the energy, industry, transport, buildings sectors in detail, we are developing the GEM for better representation of land and other natural resource use, as well as to derive distributional implications of climate policies.
The selected candidates will coordinate periodic model updates in close collaboration with model developers, regularly use the model, and conduct consultations and workshops with experts and policymakers to develop and/or co-create low-carbon growth scenarios. Through an iterative process, they will assess important assumptions underlying model scenarios, analyze model results, compare these with other relevant models for the country, and document the analysis in varied publications to communicate key findings and insights to policymakers and the general audience. The candidates should have an excellent understanding of energy/climate landscape in the country, demonstrated experience in working with large datasets and presentation/writing of results, and preferably a prior energy/economic modeling experience.
The Manager will undertake a range of tasks as listed below.
- Contribute to shaping the analysis of alternative low-carbon pathways towards a just and inclusive clean energy transition for India, within the context of domestic policies, broader sustainable development goals, and implementation challenges.
- Understand the structure of the EPS (and/or GEM), its outputs, and input datasets by going through the model input files (in Excel) or code (in Vensim) and reading model documentation.
- Lead periodic updates to the models and continued customization of models to the Indian context in partnership with the developers and relevant experts.
- Lead updates to the model documentation in line with existing model structure and any ongoing/future updates
- Develop and co-create alternate climate policy scenarios for India in consultation with relevant stakeholders.
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders through roundtables, seminars, workshops, policy dialogues, training, and other communication and outreach activities.
- Support the management of assigned modelling-related projects, including project planning, implementation, and timely completion of activities and high-quality deliverables.
- Contribute to ideation, reviews, and proposal writing for ongoing and future projects in the team.
- Coordinate with external consultants or advisors on model development, as needed.
- Contribute to capacity building and knowledge sharing both within the organization and external events/partnership.
- Collaborate on modelling-related studies with other researchers and external organizations (national and international) with complementary expertise.
- Stay updated with policy landscape, sectoral developments, and industry trends.
- Publish technical papers, policy briefs, and blogs on topics related to climate scenarios, deep decarbonization, NetZero roadmaps, sectoral transition strategies, and others.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Post graduate degree in Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, Environmental/Climate Science or a related subject.
- 7 - 10 years of full-time work experience in the domain of climate or energy policy related research for India is required, with a preference for experience with GHG emissions/energy or economics modelling
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and analysis of large quantitative datasets.
- Excellent understanding of India’s energy systems and climate policy.
- Ability to communicate fluently (oral and written) in English.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Experience with conducting stakeholder consultations.
- Experience in providing technical guidance to researchers or leading teams on projects
- Patience and careful attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Vensim and Python programming skills.
- Ability to present complex energy issues and modeling insights to a wide range of stakeholders with various backgrounds in a simple and effective manner.
- Ability to work calmly and enthusiastically under high pressure and manage multiple tasks.
Salary and Benefits: INR 15,00,000 to INR 18,00,000 CTC
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 2 years (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: Delhi/Bangalore/Mumbai, India
Start Date: At the earliest
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter (outlining your interest and suitability for the position)
- A writing sample (no more than 1000 words; preferably on a climate policy related topic for a general audience)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
- Health insurance