Consultant - Finance (Sustainable Cities and Transport), WRI India
World Resources Institute
7 days ago
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
Nationally Determined Contributions- Transport Initiative for Asia (NDC-TIA)
The NDC Transport Initiative for Asia (TIA 2020-2023) is a joint programme of seven organisations to engage China, India, and Vietnam in promoting a comprehensive approach to decarbonizing transport in their respective countries. The project is part of the International Climate Initiative (IKI). The Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) supports the initiative based on a decision adopted by the German Bundestag.
NITI Aayog is the implementing partner for the India component of the project. The consortium includes seven leading organizations- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), World Resources Institute (WRI), International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT), International Transport Forum (ITF), Agora Verkehrswende (AGORA), Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT) Foundation and Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century e.V. (REN21).
Role of WRI India in the NDC-TIA project
- To encourage in wider level of knowledge dissemination via various ‘Forum for Decarbonizing Transport’ and hence facilitate peer to peer information and knowledge exchange, both cross country and cross sectoral.
- Organize workshops for this stakeholder platform and identify key topics and stakeholders to participate in each. The potential topics of stakeholder meetings may include consultation on key sector identification, low carbon measures identification, target setting, and policy feasibility analysis
- To identify and document two specific technical studies that focuses on sustainable urban transport policies, low carbon transport and energy technologies, and climate mitigation policies in transport sector
- Conduct analysis on EV supply and demand side policies to support relevant stakeholders in developing appropriate policy instruments
- To develop cost benefit analysis methods for understanding the impact of such decisions on the social, economic and environmental aspects.
- Identify use cases and associated business models in close collaboration with the private sector from which to develop analysis tools appropriate for different levels of intervention and contexts
About your role:
WRI India is looking for a financial consultant to support the research and development of financial mechanisms for accelerating the e-mobility uptake in India. The position is for a period of one year. The consultant will be required to be based in India.
How your day will unfold:
- Work closely with the NDC-TIA project manager to lead research and analysis of financial mechanisms for companies and retail customers to support greater EV adoption and manufacturing
- Develop detailed business models to demonstrate how the financial mechanisms will spur the deployment of EVs and the manufacturing requirements of India’s EV industry
- Elaborate the proposed financial mechanisms and construct models for different capitalization scenarios to assess effective capital allocations from public and private investments
- Identify relevant stakeholders, ranging from financial institutions to OEMs and retail customer groups, and engage with the stakeholders to assess the efficacy of the proposed financial mechanisms
- Develop term sheets for selected financing mechanisms to further conversations with potential partners among financial institutions, as required
- Develop an operational plan and phase-out strategy for the deployment of selected financial mechanisms, including outreach strategy to target beneficiaries
- Create written documentation, presentations, reports, etc. to support partner engagement and the reporting requirements for the project
Scope and Deliverables:
The consultant is responsible for preparing the following outputs:
- Business model accounting for different target groups and technologies on supply and demand sides
- Details of the financial mechanisms to support the establishment of a robust EV ecosystem in India, including implementing institutions, proposed flow of funds, and implementation plan
- Financial modelling that considering various capitalization scenarios between the financial mechanisms to catalyze the uptake of EVs and the development of EV manufacturing in India
- Draft term sheets for selected financing mechanisms, including financial flows and indicative interest rates and fees
- Road map for outreach campaign to target groups
- Phase-out strategy for the financial mechanisms
Skills and Qualifications that we seek:
- Master’s degree in business, finance, international development, or relevant field required
- 10 to 15 years of experience with international development finance, including with direct experience implementing credit guarantee funds. · Strong commercial and financial engineering experience including grants, loan guarantee funds, impact bonds, returnable grants, subsidized impact- linked debt etc.
- Excellent communications skills and experience engaging and negotiating with financial institutions.
- Excellent quantitative and research skills, including developing financial modelling
- Good working knowledge of the transport sector. Experience working with the electric vehicles sector is a bonus
- General understanding of environment and climate domain
- Comfortable with handling ambiguity, have intellectual humility, can collaborate across teams and can be decisive when required
Compensation: Compensation shall be commensurate with experience and skills.
Duration: 1 year
Location: New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru. Other Indian cities.
List of Documents to be attached:
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here