Consultant - Batteries (Electric Vehicles)
World Resources Institute
30+ days ago
Consultant - Batteries (Electric Vehicles), WRI India
Who we are and what we do?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
Overview of the Sustainable Cities and Transport program
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable, and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center’s Sustainable Cities and Transport program offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents targeting urban affairs – across our offices in Delhi, Bangalore, and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban-focused think- and do-tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded, and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
About your role:
WRI India is looking for a consultant to join its electric mobility program. This individual is expected to be located in Delhi, and will predominantly support in developing and actionizing consortium research on electric vehicle (EV) batteries, which WRI India will also be a part of. The individual is expected to bring together and coalesce efforts of different stakeholders of the EV battery ecosystem, such as battery manufacturers, policymaking bodies, research institutions, startups, academia, thinktanks, vehicle manufacturers, technology service providers, and more, to develop a research consortium for carrying out research on EV batteries and related technologies. The consortium will be aimed at transitioning the technology readiness levels for EV batteries in India from 1-3 to 7-9 through joint R&D (research and development) efforts of public and private sectors. The individual will work closely with her/ his supervisor.
How your day will unfold:
- Build relationships with different stakeholders of the EV battery ecosystem, such as battery manufacturers, policymaking bodies, research institutions, academia, thinktanks, vehicle manufacturers, technology service providers, and more, to develop a research consortium for EV batteries and related technologies
- Support the consortium in carrying out joint R&D initiatives for advancing EV battery technologies in India, within a watertight framework of laws and governing principles that protects the interests of all stakeholders
- Manage and/ or support different activities and deliberations regarding the research consortium, towards achievement of common goals of different stakeholders (such as data sharing, expert consultations, pilot deployment, etc.)
- Foresee and mitigate potential stakeholder conflicts stemming from intellectual property usage, divergence in stakeholders’ objectives, etc.
- Actively liaise with sectoral stakeholders for cross-learning, peer-to-peer interaction, research facilitation, industry roundtables, and for supporting co-creation of team strategies
- Support dissemination of content and outreach for the research consortium, if required
- Document scientific research on a range of sectoral issues related to different aspects of EVs, EV batteries, and related technologies
- Support efforts to analyze existing information and collect new data, when required, to develop joint research and technical assistance products with the team
- Support various facets of project delivery as and when needed, such as government interfacing, partner outreach, stakeholder engagement, project documentation, etc.
- Identify pertinent research gaps, cultivate and develop ideas, and author or co-author knowledge products (e.g., reports, briefs, data products)
- Develop blogs, articles, and other outreach material for ongoing research and related insights
- Organize and support events such as workshops and webinars, to continuously engage with ecosystem stakeholders
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the program director in India
- Assess project risks and issues and provide solutions where applicable
- Contribute to fundraising efforts, if required
Qualifications and requirements we seek:
- Master’s degree in energy science/ engineering, environmental engineering, business administration, management, or other relevant disciplines
- 10-12 years of professional work experience on a relevant subject matter
- Considerable prior experience of building coalitions, manging consortia, and supporting achievement of common goals
- Ability to develop, understand and leverage watertight frameworks governing consortium-format R&D initiatives
- Ability to catalyze consensus building activities and support stakeholder negotiations/ conversations
- Deep understanding of intellectual property rights (such as patents, trademarks, copyrights, and more) and standard industry practices for R&D, and ability to navigate the same
- Ability to solicit and incorporate expert feedback on R&D strategies and workstreams
- Ability to develop and foster stakeholder engagements, and coalesce efforts directed at collaborative research
- Thorough knowledge of policies, regulations, technologies, and business-related aspects of EVs, batteries, and other clean technologies
- Ability to receive and incorporate constructive feedback effectively, think critically and strategically
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English to coherently convey complex information to a technical and policy audience
- Reasonable experience in writing reports, briefs, scientific papers, blogs
- Working knowledge of MS-Office
- Demonstrated ability to work well in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams, manage multiple priorities, and work under tight deadlines
- Collaborative problem-solving skills, with the abilities to take initiative and set priorities
- Legally able to work in India
Duration: One year (Part time)
Location: Delhi (substantial travel to different cities may be required)
Start date: As soon as possible
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.