Senior Research Associate - Energy Program
World Resources Institute
17 days ago
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Energy
The objective of the WRI India energy program is to inform and guide India’s transition to cleaner energy. The program focuses on three inter-related aspects of this energy transition: enhancing energy access, scaling renewables among specific consumer categories, and achieving higher levels of energy and buildings efficiency. Our energy access work is specifically aimed at ensuring access to affordable and clean energy so as to improve socio-economic development in rural and remote regions of India. Through strong research, ground-level implementation experience, partnerships with key stakeholders and communicating our work, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your role:
WRI India is seeking a Senior Research Associate for the Energy Program in India. With his/her knowledge of the energy sector and development space in India, the Senior Research Associate will support the vision of WRI to improve access to reliable, affordable and sustainable energy for all while supporting development.
WRI globally, has deep experience in the energy sector and is widely recognized as a leader on energy issues. In India, we have a multi-pronged energy strategy that looks strategically at directing our tools, research, expertise, and partnerships in ensuring universal access to reliable, affordable and sustainable electricity for development. The Senior Research Associate will join a team of highly motivated individuals across multiple continents, including members of WRI’s senior leadership, to support the energy program’s work.
How your day will unfold:
The Senior Research Associate will undertake and oversee a range of responsibilities as listed below.
- Conduct and guide research on a range of energy and electricity sector issues – including interdisciplinary research at the intersection of energy, agriculture, livelihoods, climate, economics, development, policy and renewable energy technologies
- Play an integral role in implementing energy interventions and collecting data for expanding energy access opportunities in the livelihood, health and education sectors
- Engaging with development partners and enterprises to support research and implementation of energy solutions, and for capacity building of partners
- Lead efforts to analyze existing information and collect new data, when required, to develop joint research products for the energy program
- Lead / support efforts to support the writing of knowledge pieces including reports and articles that reflect the work of the program
- Actively liaise with energy sector stakeholders including relevant national and state government officials, private sector, academicians and researchers, and civil society for cross-learning and for supporting in co-creation of energy program’s strategies
- Conduct research of the energy access technologies and innovations and monitor the changing landscape to share with the team in a timely manner.
- Organizing online events, workshops, conferences and other dissemination activities as required
- Provide inputs for identifying the right technology for improving access to reliable source of electricity
- Write material including blog posts, op-eds, articles and other compelling communications that serves to translate technical material for various audiences
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Energy Program Director in India.
Qualification and Requirements we seek:
- Masters degree (MA, MSc or equivalent) in energy studies; rural development/rural studies; public policy; economics; environmental and sustainability studies; or related fields.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience with prior research experience in development sector with knowledge of the clean energy sector.
- Evidence of research and writing in peer-reviewed journals and similar publications
- An interest in problem-focused research with skills in qualitative and/or quantitative research methods (statistical and economic analysis).
- Strong command of the English language for communication and strong writing skills.
- An ability to work independently and effectively and willingness to travel with minimum supervision and with attention to detail.
- Good communications skills, willingness to engage with the team members in project discussions and a strong sense of respect for the team members.
Salary & Benefits: 11,00,000 to 13,00,000 CTC Per Annum
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Delhi/Bangalore, India
Duration: 1 year as term hire (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
List of Documents to be attached:
Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing samples
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.