Project Associate - Industrial Decarbonization
World Resources Institute
30+ days ago
Who we are and what we do?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
Program Overview for Energy
The objective of the WRI India energy program is to inform and guide India’s transition to cleaner energy. The program focuses on three inter-related aspects of this energy transition: enhancing energy access, scaling renewables among specific consumer categories, and achieving higher levels of energy and buildings efficiency. Our energy access work is specifically aimed at ensuring access to affordable and clean energy so as to improve socio-economic development in rural and remote regions of India. Through strong research, ground-level implementation experience, partnerships with key stakeholders and communicating our work, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your Role:
WRI India is seeking a Project Associate – Industrial Decarbonisation expert to work with and support the Energy Program in the country. As the Industrial Decarbonisation - Project Associate, you will work with the India Energy team to advance and expand decarbonisation work in the Industry sector, deliver high-quality and impactful knowledge products, engage directly with policymakers and key stakeholders, and help achieve WRI’s outcomes. Your portfolio will include analysis of industrial decarbonization opportunities, identification and promotion of supportive policies and incentives, and engagement with key stakeholders.
How your day will unfold:
Strategy Development and Stakeholders Management
- Bring knowledge of industrial processes, abatement technologies, and energy needs to help develop a targeted strategy to accelerate systems change within the sector. Assess the most promising levers of change and design projects and research to maximize progress.
- Work effectively with WRI colleagues to ensure insights on India’s energy transition; identify obstacles to decarbonization, preliminary requirements to establish baselines and benchmarks and foster greater acceptance of low-carbon products throughout the supply chain.
- Build relations with academic and industry contacts, provide strategic insight and thought leadership regarding Industrial decarbonisation and clean energy finance challenges, working through networks, information exchange, data analysis and horizon scanning to identify opportunities for WRI to create positive change; scope, plan, and implement strategies for achieving that impact
- Participation in stakeholder dialogues, advocacy liaise with civil society, policymakers, business and government stakeholders and multilateral actors active in India’s energy transition, and represent WRI India publicly on the Industrial decarbonisation strategy.
- Support WRI research, developing knowledge products, and internal/external communications material and tailored briefings on recent data and analysis, disseminating these to relevant stakeholders and events.
Research and Analysis
- Support in developing policy insights and recommendations based on analysis of data on industrial energy consumption, climate impacts, available technologies to reduce energy consumption and emissions; lessons from pilot projects and first movers; financing structures/incentives for industrial innovation
- Support the development of working papers, articles, and other external communication, review peer publications and contribute to research across the institute
- Ensure effective and timely implementation of project deliverables according to funder requirements, grant agreements, and project scopes of work and support funder communication, including required reporting
Specific deliverables and milestones will be mutually discussed and agreed with the selected candidate.
Qualifications and Requirements we seek:
The project associate should have a good understanding of decarbonization within the industrial sector and be able to talk about developing strategies and the practical implementation of them within an industrial setting. Project associate should be agile in their approach bouncing from engaging with stakeholders and able to deliver high quality outputs.
- Master’s degree with specialization in engineering/science/management/economics or related field
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant full-time work experience in the energy sector, especially understanding of Industries and their process.
- Excellent strategic understanding of India’s climate and energy policy and its interplay with the broader geopolitics and financial aspects of energy transition.
- Relevant professional experience and a track record of activity in international energy policy, broader foreign policy, energy finance or a related field.
- Strong personal networks in India at relevant expert, diplomatic, NGO and/or governmental level.
- Able to operate confidently at an expert level in an international context, with an ability to engage senior decision-makers from government, business, finance and civil society.
- Excellent networking, analytical, writing, and presentational skills –develop strategic messages and convey them convincingly to key audiences, both in writing and verbally.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, able to work effectively as part of an international team as well as independently
Salary and Benefits: 8,00,000 INR to 9,00,000 INR CTC Per annum
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 1 year as term hire (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: Bengaluru, Delhi, India
Start date: As soon as possible
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
- Resume along with one professional reference.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.