Manager – Communication, Climate
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Climate:
At WRI India’s Climate Program, we focus on integrated solutions that can enable a low-carbon transition in India, while ensuring that the transition is equitable and just for its people and protects natural resources. Through applied research, the use of frameworks and tools, partnerships with key stakeholders and ground-level implementation, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your role:
India has set for itself ambitious decarbonization targets that can put the country on a low carbon development pathway. While this climate ambition must also ensure that India meets its developmental targets and raises the standard of living of all its people, climate change impacts are already affecting communities and must be addressed. Additionally, while low carbon shifts in our energy systems, industries, and transport can bring in better economic, job and development outcomes at the aggregate levels, if not managed well, they could also disproportionately and negatively impact the livelihoods of the most vulnerable – including informal workers, small businesses, low-income households, and women.
Taking cognizance of such potential impacts in planning and implementing low carbon/climate policies and undertaking measures to minimize and manage such impacts is critical to ensure that the India’s low carbon transition is also just and equitable. In this regard, WRI India’s research is aimed at supporting policymakers on policy planning and implementation through economic modelling, policy analysis, developing tools and guidance, conducting vulnerability assessments, stakeholder engagement, capacity building and skilling interventions. WRI India is also working actively on building a thriving and resilient MSME sector in India by reducing their vulnerability to climate change, building capacity on undertaking climate action, accessing technology and finance for decarbonization, and preparing MSMEs for the low carbon transition though targeted, sector-specific skilling programs.
The selected candidate will work closely with the project lead(s) and Director of the Climate Program as well as with the organization’s core communications team to the support the program’s vision for a low-carbon, resilient, just and equitable development pathway for India. The role provides an opportunity to co-create an impactful communications and engagement strategy for the various program initiatives and leading the implementation of the same by creating engaging and informative communication products to share our research and recommendations and disseminating them across media and through events and workshops.
How your day will unfold:
- Lead the development of detailed communications strategy in line with the project requirement(s) and in coordination with project team and core communications team
- Lead the development of the strategic engagement plan with the relevant stakeholders in coordination with the project lead
- Lead communications across events, roundtables, workshops, and virtual events, as needed to facilitate strategic engagement, participation, awareness building and build partnerships
- Lead dissemination of research pieces, blogs, stories, infographics and other communications products through appropriate channels and/or events
- Lead the co-creation of video blogs, stories, voices from the field, infographics and other communications material planned in the strategy.
- Manage and lead high-level convening, workshops, seminars, etc., and communications around them in coordination with the project leads and the team
- Design and edit the content that will go into the web asset and/or microsite and take part in the conceptualization of the web asset and/or microsite with the project team
- Ensure high quality communications products by supporting the team with proofreading and/or editing support for the modules prepared for the capacity building initiatives
- Track, evaluate and report on metrics of success, and adapt strategies to grow and improve outreach results over time
- Serve as liaison between WRI India core communications and the climate program to develop program-related communications
- Manage quality control and ensure timely dissemination of social media content, emailers and newsletters
- Co-author and/or review, edit and proofread blogs, articles, social media posts, and other communications material.
- Create and maintain social media strategies around events, launch of research papers, op-eds, articles, etc.
- Assist the climate program with developing the content to be posted on social media handles including but not limited to Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram
- Assist the team with planning and executing in person and online events on Zoom, MS Teams, Google Meet, WebEx, etc.
- Assist the team in planning and executing pre- and post – event social media outreach strategy
Qualifications and Requirements we seek:
- Post-graduate in the related field of mass communication, data journalism public relations, economics, sustainability or environmental studies
- At least 7 – 8 years of full-time work experience working in public relations, journalism, communications
- Demonstrated experience of working in issues related to social, environmental, and climate change related issues
- Demonstrated experience in developing video blogs, stories from the field, infographics, etc.
- Working with reporters or members of the media and speaker/interviewee prep preferred
- Working knowledge of PowerPoint, Adobe InDesign, Canva, Pardot, Salesforce, Cision, Asana and similar tools preferred
- Ability to manage multiple vendors and ensure timely delivery
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced complex office environment, both independently and as part of the team
- Highly motivated, proactive work style, excellent organizational and project management skills. Keen attention to detail
- Ability to lead the planning, coordination, and execution of communications products required; background in influence strategies, and audience targeting preferred
Salary and Benefits: 15,00,000 to 18,00,000 Per Annum
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 2 year (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, India
Start Date: At the earliest
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter (outlining your interest and suitability for the position)
- A writing sample (no more than 1000 words; preferably on a climate policy related topic for a general audience)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staffmember
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.