WRI China has been rapidly growing in the recent years. To ensure we are equipped to understand if our works are contributing to the longer-term goals of the Institute and delivering impacts that we have committed in our grants, we are hiring a Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (PMEL) Specialist for WRI China.
Over the next few years, we will accelerate a “step change” in PMEL practices and culture at WRI China to enhance programmatic effectiveness and demonstrate impact. The specific goals of the step change in PMEL are to have:
- Robust, evidence- based theories of change (ToC) for programs and projects that are easily accessible for staff and partners to facilitate shared understanding and learnings
- Intentional pause and reflect cycles to review ToCs and M&E data, discuss the learnings and changes needed to achieve the results in the strategic plan
- WRI results that are easily verifiable, where contribution is well understood and WRI’s commitment to address social inequalities is reflected in the results
- Iterative cycles of evaluation that support ongoing reflection and learning, systemization and publication of lessons learned
This position will have the support of the Managing for Results team and the WRI PMEL Community of Practice, in addition to the WRI China colleagues.
M&E technical support to WRI China’s programmatic teams (80-90%)
- Work together with WRI China’s programmatic teams to develop MEL plans for projects and programs during both proposal and implementation stages
- Support programmatic teams to adopt WRI’s M&E system (DevResults) including helping them formulate their theory of change, results framework, develop or refine indicators, utilize the M&E system’s functions more effectively, train and respond to technical questions that teams have related to DevResults
- Develop primary data collection tools (e.g., surveys, questionnaires, semi structured interview guides, etc.) and support for implementation (e.g., training enumerators, developing sampling methodology, mentoring partners, etc.), primary data cleaning, analysis and reporting protocols
- Source for new indicators and refine existing indicators to ensure teams across WRI China have easy access to quality metrics to support adaptive management and programmatic effectiveness
- Support programmatic teams to collect and update M&E data for the abovementioned M&E systems and grant reporting
- Liaise with multiple stakeholders for data collection, verification and feedback
- Support programmatic teams to develop and implement systems/procedures, good practices, tools, etc. to strengthen MEL throughout the project implementation
- Conduct data analysis and develop reports to share knowledge, demonstrate progress, and facilitate continuous learning
- Work with our communications team to translate the data into simple, powerful messages that resonate with various stakeholders and audiences
- Provide capacity building for programmatic teams.
Institutional Support (10-20%)
- Support the development of theories of change, targets, baselines and indicators, and updating of WRI China’s strategic plans.
- Support the WRI China team with annual planning and reporting
- Collaborate with and support the Global Managing for Results (MfR) team to enhance PMEL practices and culture across WRI’s global network.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
- Master’s degrees and experience in related fields, such as statistics, economics, public policy, international development, etc.
- 5+ years full-time relevant work experience in Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Experience providing PMEL technical support in large, international organizations
- Excellent command of written and spoken Chinese and English
- Strong team spirit with excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with staff and external stakeholders at all levels, and flexibility to work across different time zones
- Willingness and ability to travel both domestically and internationally
- Preferred: Familiarity with DevResults, VISIO, MIRO, PowerBI, Asana, and Sharepoint preferred
- Reporting: Core Functions, WRI China Office
- Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous, comprehensive benefits package
- Duration: Full-time regular
- Location: Beijing, China
- Application dead line: 11/30/2023
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with a cover letter by the date of the f application deadline. An application should be submitted to the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world overcomes this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
What we offer
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and our operating budget is nearing $200 million.
Our values and mission
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.