Communication & Engagement Specialist, China Sustainable Investment Program
World Resources Institute
30+ days ago
WRI China Sustainable Investment Program is seeking a Communication & Engagement Specialist to help amplify the influence of our efforts in the areas of greening China’s overseas investment, financing China’s carbon neutrality and strengthening carbon evaluation. The key responsibilities include formulating overall communications and engagement strategies, designing communication outputs, evaluate performance and other relative work in communications and engagement. The Comms & Engagement Specialist will work closely with WRI China Comms team.
- Develop overall communication & engagement strategies, key messages, and deliver effective and impactful communication approaches and outputs for China Sustainable Investment Program, with close collaboration with WRI Comms (including teams of China Comms, Core Comms in D.C., other International Offices Comms & different Program Comms)
- Write and edit communication materials (like formulate press releases and articles, prepare interview/speech outlines, design video scripts, etc.), and ensure they are consistent with WRI’s quality standards and communication guidance.
- Update content of the Sustainable Investment Program page on WRI website
- Organize communication and engagement activities, like press conference, research seminar, salons, etc.
- Monitor the media and public opinion environment in China and relative countries closely (especially BRI countries) and adjust communication and engagement strategies timely. Respond to media and public opinion incidences and even crisis calmly and effectively together with WRI Comms.
- Engage with domestic & internal media and key influencers on relative topics. Meanwhile, coordinate various eternal media requests (like exclusive interview, article invitation, etc.) to amplify the influence or the project/program, together with WRI Comms.
- Help to build up the communication capacity of team members.
- Manage partnership and sub-contracted activities that are focusing on engagement and communications
- Maintain policy & news database, coordinate inputs from team members and generate briefings for the Sustainable Investment Program
- Assist WRI’s Senior Advisor to scale up the impact of the program’s work, including coordinating meetings and travels, preparing presentation materials and providing admin supports.
- Master’s degree required (preferably in communications, public relations, international development, or a related field) with an excellent academic record
- Minimum 4 years of full-time work experience in communication, engagement, public relation, marketing or related areas, preferably with knowledge in energy sector, green finance and sustainable development.
- Comprehensive understanding of communications strategies and execution
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in Chinese and English, and outstanding inter-personal skills
- Critical thinker who can analyze complex and technical content and data and convey it into easy-to-communicate, knowledgeable insights
- Sensitive sense to external changing environment and excellent crisis management ability.
- Skills in any multimedia design & production tools (like Canva, Premier，Flourish, Tableau, etc.) will be a plus.
- Strong organizational, coordination, and project management skills
- Must be adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and have the ability to manage multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Commitment to WRI’s mission and institutional values.
Final candidate will be required to take a writing test.
Reporting: Director of Sustainable Investment Program
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous, comprehensive benefits package
Location: Beijing, China
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application deadline: 09/30/2022
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with a cover letter by the date of the application deadline. An application should be submitted to the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world overcomes this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our values and mission:
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
What we offer:
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and our operating budget is nearing $200 million.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.