At Voltalia we are passionate about renewable energies! We are an electricity producer from wind, solar, hydro, biomass and storage and also a service provider to 3rd party clients such as Development, EPC, O&M and Distribution.Today we are in 20 countries, split among 4 continents, and offering a global operating capacity to our clients. We are listed on the regulated Euronext market in Paris since July 2014.
We are expanding our activities throughout Europe and Africa and are seeking an enthusiastic Environmental and Social Specialist who has experience working in the renewable energy sector in emerging countries on projects financed by Development Finance Institutions, like the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, African Development Bank, International Finance Corporation and others.
Reporting to the Head of International Development and Regional Environmental and Social Lead Advisor this position will support our local Voltalia teams to ensure that our projects continue to meet the highest environmental and social standards. Your primary focus will be on the development, construction and operation of solar, wind and hydro projects, in countries such as South Africa, Egypt, Kenya, Malawi, Gambia, Albania, Greece and Uzbekistan, with others to follow.
You will work with various local teams, to implement the company’s Environmental and social Management System (ESMS), review projects to identify potential environmental and social issues early in the development process, support the preparation and implementation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), Environmental & Social Action Plan (ESAP), Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs), and Community Stakeholder Engagement Plans, accompany the project teams during the financing process to ensure we meet the relevant E&S requirements of lenders, and carry out staff training for the local teams to help us develop the necessary environmental and social management skills in-country.
This role will be part of a multi-disciplinary team that we are putting in place that will support our Country Managers and local project teams to make better and more strategic business decisions and improve our project development and overall business performance.
You will work closely with the Country Managers and their local teams to understand the specificities of our projects and the communities in which our projects are located, the prevailing regulatory and policy context and the business benefits that accrue from sustained environmental and social performance. In that context, the role will require practical experience in addressing a range of environmental and social issues, a commitment to community engagement, excellent communication skills, attention to detail, a strategic and creative mindset and a pragmatic business sense of what is possible.
You should be able to demonstrate practical experience in managing a range of environmental and social issues, excellent stakeholder engagement skills to support our relationships with E&S consultants, National and Local Officials, local community representatives and lenders, as well as the crucial written and verbal communication skills to best communicate your analyses to the respective Country Managers and their teams.
Specific tasks would include the provision of support and expertise to local teams on the following:
- Implementation of the company’s Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS),
- Development and implementation of project-specific Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) and Resettlement Action Plans (RAP),
- Appointment and training of Community Liaison Officers (CLOs) and implementation of Grievance Redress Mechanism (GRM),
- Training of local teams in lender’s E&S requirements, such as Equator Principles, IFC PS and EBRD PR, amongst other guidelines,
- Coordination with construction and HSE teams and contractors to ensure Projects E&S requirements are planned and implemented during the construction and operational period.
This job position will be located in France, the United Kingdom or Portugal and cover the European perimeter.
- Master’s degree in Environmental Management, Science or Social Science.
- At least 5 years of proven work experience as an E&S Manager or E&S Officer.
- Experience conducting ESIAs for renewable energy projects.
- Experience in implementing resettlement activities.
- Experience in developing or implementing ESMS at the project or corporate level.
- Experience in reconciling business and community needs.
- Experience in community engagement in a multicultural context.
- Experience working on DFI-funded projects.
- Experience in training and coaching local teams.
- Knowledge of broader trends in environmental and social management and engagement.
- Knowledge of the renewable energy sector in Europe and Africa.
- Fluent in English (knowledge of other languages is a plus).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to and understanding of the aims, values, principles, policies and procedures of Voltalia.
- Commitment to utilizing participatory approaches.
- Demonstrable ability at report writing.
- Good understanding and/or knowledge of community cultures, customs and practices.
- Group facilitation and coaching skills.
- Good sense of organization and time management.
- Strong sense of personal and professional integrity.
- Inspiration towards Voltalia’s mission to improve the global environment and foster local development.
Voltalia France SA
Environment & Social