Special Projects Director - Storage & Flexibility (Madrid) M/F
26 days ago
At Voltalia we are passionate about renewable energies! We are an electricity producer from wind, solar, hydro, biomass and storage and also a service provider to 3rd party clients such as Development, EPC, O&M and Distribution.Today we are in 20 countries, split among 4 continents, and offering a global operating capacity to our clients. We are listed on the regulated Euronext market in Paris since July 2014.
Voltalia is looking for a highly experienced, entrepreneurial and self-motivated individual to lead our Storage & Flexibility business development activities within Voltalia’s Europe, Africa & International perimeter. This role will report to the Head of Special Projects and can be based in France, Portugal, Spain or the UK.
As the Special Projects Director for Storage & Flexibility your objectives will be to identify, evaluate and test new Storage & Flexibility business opportunities, explore and assess alternative business models, prepare the corresponding business plans, launch pilot projects, and once the opportunity is successfully tested and proven, expand those opportunities across the perimeter and pass responsibility to the respective country managers to develop the business further. The initial Storage & Flexibility opportunities will focus on battery storage, 24-7 ready renewables, and flexible renewable generation. In that capacity you will be responsible for providing technical leadership and support to the Europe, Africa and International perimeter on the deployment of Energy Storage technologies and business models, as one of the key technology drivers to support the growth strategy of the business.
You will be an important member of the Special Projects group. This group may be considered as a type of internal incubator for new businesses that anticipate the energy transition and that will position Voltalia ahead of our competitors.
The emphasis will be on failing quickly, testing smartly and scaling rapidly. At present, this group will focus on Power to X, Storage & Flexibility, Net Zero Communities, and other themes as may be defined from time to time.
The Special Projects Director for Storage & Flexibility responsibilities include:
- Identify and evaluate various new Storage & Flexibility business opportunities, business models and projects, with a particular focus on battery storage, 24-7 ready renewables, and flexible renewable generation;
- Maintaining current knowledge of the state of readiness and cost structures of these Storage & Flexibility opportunities and including current and projected technology costs, performance metrics, markets, data and modeling algorithms, policies, and regulations;
- Evaluating the technical and commercial viability of such opportunities and preparing robust feasibility studies, business cases and investment proposals as the project evolves and to the extent the project is viable;
- Designing and launching pilot projects alone or with potential partners to test the business case and learn-by-doing;
- Evaluating the pilot projects, and rapidly discarding those which do not fulfill their potential, while refining, expanding, and replicating those which have the greatest potential to become fully fledged commercial opportunities;
- Providing leadership, technical and commercial knowledge and support to the team as they evaluate, test and convert the pilot projects into fully fledged commercial opportunities that can be replicated;
- Overseeing the specifications and value-engineering of such projects and providing specialist input into the full value chain from specification, design, procurement, construction, and commissioning to downstream integration with end users and off-takers;
- Expanding the roll-out of the proven Storage & Flexibility opportunities across the perimeter and handing over leadership for individual projects to the respective country managers and regional managers;
- Continuing to support the country and regional managers with specialist knowledge and expertise as they roll-out the Storage & Flexibility projects and continuing to manage the relationships with any strategic partners that may be critical to the broader success and replication of the Storage & Flexibility projects;
- Fostering relationships with internal stakeholders within Voltalia to cultivate buy-in across the organization and to critically challenge the feasibility of the Storage & Flexibility opportunities from an early stage;
- Cultivating relationships with external stakeholders that are influential in the definition, implementation and roll-out of the respective Storage & Flexibility opportunities;
- Preparing and overseeing budgets, planning, and hiring the key team members and implementing the necessary processes and systems to improve the performance and efficiency of the team.
The ideal candidate will have/ be:
- Master’s degree in a technical, engineering and/ or business field;
- Qualification in chemical, process or electrical engineering is considered an advantage;
- MBA is a plus;
- More than 5 years’ experience in energy storage and/ or energy intensive industries;
- Strong technical knowledge of battery storage technologies, chemistries, and operating characteristics;
- Proven track record in implementing battery storage business models and managing battery assets and in technical and commercial evaluation of complex projects and processes;
- Proven track record in the preparation of feasibility studies and business and investment plans and in project management in a multidisciplinary and multicultural context;
- Well-established network of relationships amongst the stakeholders in the Storage & Flexibility sphere;
- Fluent in English (Arabic, French, Portuguese, or Spanish is a plus);
- This position could be based in Paris, London, Porto, Milan or Madrid.
- Strong commitment to health and safety;
- Positive attitude and motivational skills;
- Entrepreneurial by nature and challenge oriented;
- Comfortable in both technical and commercial “worlds”;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ethical with drive to succeed;
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail;
- Autonomy, creativity, and initiative;
- Commitment to promoting the success of others;
- Good judgement;
- Team player;
- Able to manage multiple priorities and multiple stakeholder relationships;
- Open minded, willing to give and to receive constructive feedback;
- Commercially astute.
Development Europe & Africa