Senior Policy Advisor, Conservation Finance
The Nature Conservancy
Washington, DC, United States
24 days ago
The location of this position is flexible, anywhere TNC is authorized to operate..
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
The challenges facing our planet today require comprehensive solutions that address the well-being of people and nature and lay the foundation for future conservation efforts. Promoting policies that provide benefits to both people and nature is critical to securing lasting conservation outcomes. The work and expertise of The Nature Conservancy’s External Affairs programs are integral to this effort. External Affairs is helping to shape the government policies that help make possible achievement of transformative conservation outcomes to address climate change, enhance protection of lands, waters, and the ocean, and provide food and water sustainably. We have an awesome task at hand, and the work that you do here will have a direct impact on our success.
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Senior Policy Advisor furthers the work of The Nature Conservancy and its conservation partners through direct interaction with governments, multilateral agencies, and partners focusing on policy, practice, and funding initiatives that impact our conservation programs, particularly the design of financing strategies and policies to support implementation of the 30x30 commitments. Specifically, the Senior Policy Advisor:
- Provides expert advice and guidance to TNC country programs on the design of national biodiversity finance plans and strategies, in order to support TNC’s in-country biodiversity and climate priorities,
- Provides advice and guidance to TNC country programs, together with internal partners from TNC’s NatureVest and other teams, on conservation and climate finance options and opportunities to support specific TNC projects and programs;
- Supports TNC country programs and partners on the design and implementation of policy strategies to implement specific conservation and climate finance tools, mechanisms and policy frameworks;
- Supports TNC country programs and Global programs on the design of large-scale approaches and fundraising proposals for public and private funding to secure resources to implement conservation finance mechanisms and policy reforms;
- Provides leadership in external engagement with key partners, governments and international institutions on best practices for conservation and climate finance, in order to transfer innovative approaches into TNC and share TNC’s innovations with broader audiences;
- Influences international processes (e.g. UNCBD), bilateral and multilateral agencies and international organizations to advance and mainstream conservation finance practices and approaches in their funding and programmatic frameworks.
The Senior Policy Advisor (SPA) is a demonstrated expert in conservation finance practices, demonstrating extensive expertise on conservation finance planning methodologies, tools and policy frameworks. The SPA should have a proven track record of working with national and/or regional governments on the assessment, design and implementation of biodiversity finance plans and have excellent networking and coaching skills to support colleagues and officials in TNC country programs.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience designing, organizing, and directing complex projects. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, environmental policy, business or related field and 6 years of senior management level experience in government relations, corporate sector, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Fluency in English, additional languages strongly appreciated
- Experience working at the international level, with international organizations and government agencies across multiple countries.
- Project management experience including coordinating the work of other professionals inside and outside an organization.
- Experience in strategy development and implementation.
- Experience with relationship building.
- Experience negotiating complex high profile or sensitive agreements.
- Experience with written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52106, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.